2003-03-26 12:45:03

by Rushikesh Patil

Subject: Interoperability

Hi,

As of now most of the NAS boxes talk NFSv2/3. When NFSv4 will be widely
use, won't these boxes be useless? Can we have some
interoperability mechanism for this?

Regards,
Rushi

2003-03-26 14:55:47

by Haynes, Tom

Subject: Re: Interoperability

Rushi,

Why won't the NAS boxes also talk NFSv4? Blatant plug here,
since I work on NFSv4 for NetApp, a NAS box, but we currently
offer NFSv4 in our shipping products. To mitigate my plug,
note that Hummingbird's Maestro provides a PC-NFS client
and server, and the Citi has published a Linux client. I'll
provide a link for the free software:
http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/

Also, the different NFSv4 developers meet about 3 times a year
to test interoperability.

Later,
Tom

--
Tom Haynes, ex-cfb

by Lever, Charles

hi rushi-

> As of now most of the NAS boxes talk NFSv2/3. When NFSv4 will be =
widely
> use, won't these boxes be useless? Can we have some
> interoperability mechanism for this?

why do you believe that supporting NFSv2/3 and supporting
NFSv4 is mutually exclusive? every NFSv4 implementation
i'm aware of (except one prototype) allows all three versions
to coexist peacefully.