2003-04-05 12:31:41

by Chris Jensen

Subject: Can't force unmount nfs

Hi,
I have a recurring problem that when an nfs server goes down and while a
client was reading from it. If I then try to unmount the export it fails
saying the device is busy. This happens regardless of weather the server has
come back up or not.
Yes, I have closed the file that was in use, even shutdown the app that was
using it.
fuser -v shows nothing
I've tried umount -f too and that doesn't work.
(Which leads me to ask what is -f meant to do, if not that?)
Can anyone point out what the problem is?

Also, I was wondering about a related problem - I can't use the export even
after the server comes back up. I was under the impression that nfs is
stateless and that you could even continue useing a share even after sending
an unmount request to the server.
Thanks for any help

--
Chris Jensen

Public Key: http://drspirograph.com/public_key/

Wait: Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of
Spirograph and the rise in gang activity? Think about it.
- Dr Spirograph (The Simpsons)