2003-05-09 01:25:28

by Donavan Pantke

Subject: Strange file read problem 2.4.18 SuSE

ALright guys, we've been troubleshooting this problem at the office, and now
I need a little developer help with this. lol First, the setup is 2 SuSE SLES
7 machines running SuSE's patched 2.4.18 kernel. We have an app which listens
on a socket and accepts file through a proprietary protocol. It writes the
file to the NFS server, then it calls an import thread which then imports the
file into an Oracle database. The app is written purely in java, so the
improt is a seperate class that is instantiated and handed it's own thread.
Now, this works fine the vast majority of the time, but occasionally, when
dealing with a 10+M file, the import will barf reading the file (it's a
line-by-line read, so it's not like a copy, which block-by-blocks as fast as
possible), with the error message "No such file or directory". ANyone can ls
and see that indeed, the file does exist, and the next time the import runs
(after a new file comes down, the importer will process all pending files
before grabbing the new one), it'll import the 10M file just fine (problem
being that part of the file was already imported, so data can get
duplicated).
I was able to replicate an error similar to this one under different
conditions: when the cluster that advertises teh NFS export to clients mvoes
from one node to another, then reads can fail with the same error message, at
which point a file close and open solves things. Howver, in this case the
cluster isn't moving, so I'm kinda at a loss.

SO, questions are:
What kinds of situations can lead to this error being given by the client,
and:
what can I do to troubleshoot?

Thanks!
Donavan Pantke