2003-07-04 08:45:29

by Gerhard den Hollander

Subject: NFS client freezes when accessing a windows NFS server

Apologies if this problem report is incomplete.

i'm using a suse 8.2 system w/ suse 2.4.20 or 2.4.21 kernel
[that is, I've tried it with both versions]

I also have a Dell powervault NAS system, running M$ SFU 2.2 .

The dell is an NFS server.

On my linux clients the box is accessible is mounted as
nobackup:/data on /volume/nobackup type nfs
(rw,hard,intr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noacl,addr=172.17.0.52)

[tires it with and without noacl, tried with different rsize/wsize, makes
no difference]

if on the powervault (from say a solaris machine) I do

cd /volume/backup/some/dir
ln -s /volume/nobackup/som/otherdir

(that is, make a symlink to a directory)
and then on a Suse 8.2 system I do
cd /volume/backup/some/dir
ls

The suse linux box freezes completely.
[that is, I need to powercycle the machien, MAgic SysRQ does not work,
mouse/keyboard are totally frozen, nothing in the syslog]

If I remove the symlink, or make a symlink to a file everything goess just
fine.

This is 100% reproducible on any suse 8.2 system , both tith the default
8.2 kernel as well as with the latest Mantel kernel.

% rpm -q nfs-utils
nfs-utils-1.0.1-89
2.4.20 / 2.4.21 suse kernels
(athlon version, normal version, 4G mem, 64G mem, with and without
SMP)

100Mbit full duplex on the client, 2 * 100Mbit loadbalancing on the server

attached .config of the 2.4.21 kernel.

if there is any more info that can help chasing this problem, please let me
know.
If there is a way to get more debug information, please let me know.

Kind regards,
--
Gerhard den Hollander Phone :+31-10.280.1515
ICT manager Direct:+31-10.280.1539

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.06 kB)
.config (48.03 kB)