2003-07-04 10:56:34

by justin case

Subject: server still locks up

hi again,

i still couldn't solve the riddle of the freezing server. i transferred the
shared directory and the according exports-entry to another machine and
everything ran fine.

i believe the trouble to be nfs-related, since besides that issue, the
machine performs all tasks stable.
i installed the latest version of nfs-tools - same problems.

i built a new kernel again, checking all my options very carefully but no
change.
tcpdump >log didn't show any anomalies and the lines in the log repeated
themselves until the last line was cut of before ended, so also here no
usefull information.

if nobody has a further idea how to track the error down i'll have to build
the whole machine from scratch :(
at least i have now seen a working example so i know it would be worth the
effort. what bothers me, though, is that i have only seen this technique of
eliminating an error with windows so far.

regards,
/jc

by justin case

Subject: server doesn't lock up anymore! (was: server still locks up)

argh!
after reinstalling the server, since i made the client work on a second
nfs-machine, it still did the nasty thing. i got pissed and made the ram
work a little slower in the bios and everything was fine.

i didn't think of that in the first place, because it worked for a couple of
days when i first installed it and quit duty after a week or so without me
even touching the bios.

strange but solved..

/jc

by Bernd Schubert

Subject: Re: server still locks up

Hi,

perhaps you should mail some information about your hardware and your curre=
nt=20
kernel configuration, otherwise no one will ever have an idea whats wrong.

However, I think anyway we can give only general suggustions. Usually lock=
ups=20
mean hardware problems and those are difficult to detect from software, but=
=20
based on my personal experience there are often based on memory problems, s=
o=20
first you should try to run a complete memtest86 test (say 'all tests' in t=
he=20
options). Next you could/should capture the output of your system via seria=
l=20
console, this should give you more information than the screen may give you=
=20
when your system crashes.

Hope it helps,
Bernd

On Friday 04 July 2003 12:56, justin case wrote:
> hi again,
>
> i still couldn't solve the riddle of the freezing server. i transferred t=
he
> shared directory and the according exports-entry to another machine and
> everything ran fine.
>
> i believe the trouble to be nfs-related, since besides that issue, the
> machine performs all tasks stable.
> i installed the latest version of nfs-tools - same problems.
>
> i built a new kernel again, checking all my options very carefully but no
> change.
> tcpdump >log didn't show any anomalies and the lines in the log repeated
> themselves until the last line was cut of before ended, so also here no
> usefull information.
>
> if nobody has a further idea how to track the error down i'll have to bui=
ld
> the whole machine from scratch :(
> at least i have now seen a working example so i know it would be worth the
> effort. what bothers me, though, is that i have only seen this technique =
of
> eliminating an error with windows so far.
>
> regards,
> /jc

=2D-=20
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
Universit=E4t Heidelberg
INF 229
69120 Heidelberg
e-mail: [email protected]