2003-12-15 21:48:45

by Chip Salzenberg

Subject: Must portmap listen on * in NFS clients?

I have a question that will soon be relevant for Debian NFS packaging.

As far as NFS is concerned, need portmap listen on all interfaces when
the machine it's on is only an NFS *client*? I know that servers'
portmaps must listen on * so clients can find mountd. But, AFAICT,
clients need not have open portmaps. Am I right in this?

PS: I should already know this. But NFS protocol issues have always
given me the screaming heebie jeebies.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
but he stepped in a wormhole and had to go in early." // MST3K

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: Must portmap listen on * in NFS clients?

On Monday December 15, [email protected] wrote:
> I have a question that will soon be relevant for Debian NFS packaging.
>
> As far as NFS is concerned, need portmap listen on all interfaces when
> the machine it's on is only an NFS *client*? I know that servers'
> portmaps must listen on * so clients can find mountd. But, AFAICT,
> clients need not have open portmaps. Am I right in this?

Locking needs bi-directional RPC service.
In particular, the server needs to be able to communicate with statd
on the client to ask it to inform the server if the client restarts,
so the server can drop any locks the client had.

> PS: I should already know this. But NFS protocol issues have always
> given me the screaming heebie jeebies.

This is completely understandable :-) The simplicity of the core NFS
protocol is both a strength (it is easy to implement) and a weakness
(all sorts of horrible stuff had to back hacked on afterwards to make
it actually work).

NeilBrown