2004-01-19 02:25:35

by Paul D. Bain

Subject: NFS over TCP -- configuring server for

I need to know how to have my NFS services carried over TCP, not
UDP. From postings to the Linux-NFS mailing list, I understand that I must
recompile my server's kernel (and the client's kernel, too?) and add the
parameter "tcp" to the file /etc/fstab on the client. What else do I need
to do? For example, must I add anything to the file /etc/exports on the
server?

More generally, where can I find reliable, up-to-date information
on NFS on Linux, other than searching the archives of this mailing list?
The "Linux NFS-How-to" appears to be out-of-date, at least with respect to
the topic mentioned above.

-- Paul Bain

by Bernd Schubert

Subject: Re: NFS over TCP -- configuring server for

On Monday 19 January 2004 03:33, Paul D. Bain wrote:
> I need to know how to have my NFS services carried over TCP, not
> UDP. From postings to the Linux-NFS mailing list, I understand that I must
> recompile my server's kernel (and the client's kernel, too?) and add the
> parameter "tcp" to the file /etc/fstab on the client. What else do I need
> to do? For example, must I add anything to the file /etc/exports on the
> server?

A server kernel with tcp-support and specifying tcp as mount option on the
client side is enough. So you don't need to do anything else, just try it
yourself ;)

Cheers, Bernd