2004-04-09 18:04:12

by Chip Salzenberg

Subject: Proposal: Starting statd on demand

It's a well-known security principle that services should not be running
when they are not needed.

I would like to make statd follow that principle.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how? I don't want to reinvent an
already-proposed wheel.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
but he stepped in a wormhole and had to go in early." // MST3K

by Olaf Kirch

Subject: Re: Proposal: Starting statd on demand

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:03:52PM -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> It's a well-known security principle that services should not be running
> when they are not needed.
>
> I would like to make statd follow that principle.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how? I don't want to reinvent an
> already-proposed wheel.

You may want to try my kernel statd patch. It implements a minimal
statd that just supports NULL and SM_NOTIFY in kernel, as an additional
RPC program registered on the same port as lockd.

Note that you still need to have some user land support for statd
which sends out the SM_NOTIFY calls on reboot.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | The Hardware Gods hate me.
[email protected] |