2004-05-05 19:53:04

by randy

Subject: I feel stupid just asking this question

Hello,

Please excuse this question, but i really would like to understand this.

I am deciding on how many nfsd's to run.

All the doc talks about how many clients.

here is my question.

What is a client?

Is one mount point one client? (ie: if i have one server that mounts a nfs
drive) or if i have one mount point and many processes on the client box
assessing this mount point, is each process that needs access to the files
on the nfs file a client?

I hope this question makes sense.

thanks

2004-05-06 19:05:51

by Garrick Staples

Subject: Re: I feel stupid just asking this question

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 02:52:55PM -0500, Randy Paries alleged:
> Hello,
>
> Please excuse this question, but i really would like to understand this.
>
> I am deciding on how many nfsd's to run.
>
> All the doc talks about how many clients.

I'm new to the list, but since noone else has answered, here's my take on your
question...

You need enough nfsd threads to handle all incoming and pending requests.
When you see messages about not finding enough request slots, and your nfs
server isn't overloaded yet, then you need more threads.

Don't be afraid to create a lot of threads. Having too many threads won't
really slow down nfsd. On large machines that are dedicated nfs servers, I'll
make 128, 256, or even up to 512 nfs threads.

University of Southern California

Attachments:
(No filename) (828.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)