2004-09-02 20:09:09

by Jos van Wezel

Subject: permission bits for group not honoured on directory creation

Dear all,

on an nfs v3 mounted file system (linux client and server):

# umask
0002
# mkdir d
# ls -ld d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 Sep 2 2004 d/
#

note the write bit is not set for group. The ability to create group
writable directories is important for our applications. A fix for
this, or a pointer to a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Jos

by Trond Myklebust

P=E5 to , 02/09/2004 klokka 16:08, skreiv Jos van Wezel:

> # umask
> 0002
> # mkdir d
> # ls -ld d
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 Sep 2 2004 d/
> #
>=20
> note the write bit is not set for group. The ability to create group
> writable directories is important for our applications. A fix for
> this, or a pointer to a solution would be greatly appreciated.

You've checked that the setgid bit is not set on the parent directory
and that the filesystem has not been mounted with the grpid/bsdgroups
option on the server?

What is a "linux client and server" btw?

Cheers,
Trond

by Frank van Maarseveen

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:08:54PM +0200, Jos van Wezel wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> on an nfs v3 mounted file system (linux client and server):
>
> # umask
> 0002
> # mkdir d
> # ls -ld d
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 8192 Sep 2 2004 d/
> #

cannot reproduce. I would surely be bitten by such a bug.

kernel versions ?
client: how do the relevant /proc/mounts entries look?
server: relevant /etc/exports lines?

--
Frank

by Jos van Wezel

As Trond correctly hinted it had to do with the underlying file system
which in our case is GPFS. Permissions on an exported ext3 fs work as
expected.

Thanks

Jos