2004-12-04 22:15:03

by Chip Salzenberg

Subject: Debian, SIGPIPE, "libnfsidmap", and init.d vs. umount

Debian needs a bugfix release of nfs-utils, because of the SIGPIPE
bug. This being my job, I figured I could grab the HEAD version of
nfs-utils. And since the Debian sarge release is coming up soon (no,
really), I hoped I'd find something unlikely to crash; instead I'm
having difficulty with the build.

I gather that "libnfsidmap" is what I'll find in:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/libnfsidmap/

Is there some reason this hasn't been made part of Debian already,
seeing as how it already contains Debian build infrastructure?

Also, is it a bug or a feature that the NFS startup scripts know how
to mount special-purpose filesystems, but not unmount them?
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
People are supposed to die for freedom. Not the other way around.

by NeilBrown

On Saturday December 4, [email protected] wrote:
> Debian needs a bugfix release of nfs-utils, because of the SIGPIPE
> bug. This being my job, I figured I could grab the HEAD version of
> nfs-utils. And since the Debian sarge release is coming up soon (no,
> really), I hoped I'd find something unlikely to crash; instead I'm
> having difficulty with the build.

I use "./configure --disable-nfsv4 --disable-gss" but you might not
want to...

> I gather that "libnfsidmap" is what I'll find in:
>
> http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/libnfsidmap/
>
> Is there some reason this hasn't been made part of Debian already,
> seeing as how it already contains Debian build infrastructure?

Probably just the lack of a certified debian developer to do it, but
I'll let Bruce Fields answer further..

> Also, is it a bug or a feature that the NFS startup scripts know how
> to mount special-purpose filesystems, but not unmount them?

A feature(?).

There is a need to mount, but no need to unmount.

It is a lot like there being a "modprobe" but no "rmmod".

NeilBrown

> --
> Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
> People are supposed to die for freedom. Not the other way around.

by J. Bruce Fields

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:34:47AM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Saturday December 4, [email protected] wrote:
> > I gather that "libnfsidmap" is what I'll find in:
> >
> > http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/libnfsidmap/
> >
> > Is there some reason this hasn't been made part of Debian already,
> > seeing as how it already contains Debian build infrastructure?
>
> Probably just the lack of a certified debian developer to do it, but
> I'll let Bruce Fields answer further..

Yes, I've thrown together .deb's, which you should be able to get via
apt from http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/debian. I'm happy to
maintain them but need a debian developer to sponsor.

I sent Chip a number of messages about this, and he was cc:'d on some
messages about this to debian-mentors, so I'm a little suprised that
this is news. Chip, am I getting lost in some spam filter or something?

> > Also, is it a bug or a feature that the NFS startup scripts know how
> > to mount special-purpose filesystems, but not unmount them?
>
> A feature(?).
>
> There is a need to mount, but no need to unmount.
>
> It is a lot like there being a "modprobe" but no "rmmod".

Yes, I don't see any reason to unmount.--b.

by Chip Salzenberg

As it happens this is important but not urgent. Joey Schulze says
that the right thing to do for the security hole is upload the
minimally changed version. Then we can get around to the head version
with its new features, dependencies, and packages.

According to J. Bruce Fields:
> I'm happy to maintain [nfsidmap] but need a debian developer to
> sponsor.

Sounds good. I've never done a sponsorship but I suppose it can't be
too hard.

> I sent Chip a number of messages about this, and he was cc:'d on some
> messages about this to debian-mentors, so I'm a little suprised that
> this is news. Chip, am I getting lost in some spam filter or something?

I've been putting off nfs-utils maintenance for somewhat too long (and
thus saving for later reading all messages on the subject); then this
security thing reared its head, and I went for the shortest path to a
new release. I see some messages from you still unread; once the
minor release is out, I'll read them.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
People are supposed to die for freedom. Not the other way around.

by Chip Salzenberg

According to Neil Brown:
> On Saturday December 4, [email protected] wrote:
> > Debian needs a bugfix release of nfs-utils, because of the SIGPIPE
> > bug. This being my job, I figured I could grab the HEAD version of
> > nfs-utils. And since the Debian sarge release is coming up soon (no,
> > really), I hoped I'd find something unlikely to crash; instead I'm
> > having difficulty with the build.
>
> I use "./configure --disable-nfsv4 --disable-gss" but you might not
> want to...

Well, that could work, actually. Do you think that the changes since
March 24 -- other than GSS and NFSv4 -- are valuable and safe?
--

On Sunday December 5, [email protected] wrote:
> According to Neil Brown:
> > On Saturday December 4, [email protected] wrote:
> > > Debian needs a bugfix release of nfs-utils, because of the SIGPIPE
> > > bug. This being my job, I figured I could grab the HEAD version of
> > > nfs-utils. And since the Debian sarge release is coming up soon (no,
> > > really), I hoped I'd find something unlikely to crash; instead I'm
> > > having difficulty with the build.
> >
> > I use "./configure --disable-nfsv4 --disable-gss" but you might not
> > want to...
>
> Well, that could work, actually. Do you think that the changes since
> March 24 -- other than GSS and NFSv4 -- are valuable and safe?

Well... there is also the "high availability" (ha) statd/mountd stuff,
but I think that becomes a no-op if you don't use the "-H" flag to the
respective programs.
Apart from that there are a couple of bug fixes that could be
significant in some circumstances.

I think "I think so" is about the best I can do, as I personally
haven't done a lot of testing, and testing makes a big difference to
confidence levels.

NeilBrown

by Steve Dickson

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

>According to Neil Brown:
>

>>On Saturday December 4, [email protected] wrote:
>>

>>>Debian needs a bugfix release of nfs-utils, because of the SIGPIPE
>>>bug. This being my job, I figured I could grab the HEAD version of
>>>nfs-utils. And since the Debian sarge release is coming up soon (no,
>>>really), I hoped I'd find something unlikely to crash; instead I'm
>>>having difficulty with the build.
>>>

>>I use "./configure --disable-nfsv4 --disable-gss" but you might not
>>want to...
>>

>Well, that could work, actually. Do you think that the changes since
>March 24 -- other than GSS and NFSv4 -- are valuable and safe?

Well I'm running the code with everything enabled and turned on,
for a while now.... things seem to be stable... but only time will
tell... ;-)

steved.