2005-01-25 09:17:00

by mehta kiran

Subject: address for lockd recovery

Hi ,
When i was checking lockd recovery ,
i noted that clients after getting
notification messages , use mon_id
as destination address and not notication
messages's source address as destination
address.(as just a reply)

Is there any issue in using notifcation
messages's source address as destination
address to reclaim lock. ?
If not , doing this may help clients to
recover locks faster as mon_id which is
generally virtual ip may come up later
but notification messages's source address
will definitely be up most of the time.

thanks,
--- kiran

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

by mehta kiran

Subject: Re: address for lockd recovery

thanks Trond.
What i could get from this statement is
that source address and mon_id in notification
message cannot be guaranteed to belong to same
machine.
But two different machines can have same
mon_id(nfs never pings mon_id , mon_ids can be faked)
but will have different source address.so doesn't
source address of notification message uniquely
isentify nfs server rather than mon_id and
hence safe to reclaim locks.

--thanks
kiran

--- Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>
wrote:

> ty den 25.01.2005 Klokka 01:16 (-0800) skreiv mehta
> kiran:
> > Hi ,
> > When i was checking lockd recovery ,
> > i noted that clients after getting
> > notification messages , use mon_id
> > as destination address and not notication
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address.(as just a reply)
> >
> > Is there any issue in using notifcation
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address to reclaim lock. ?
>
> If you have a multi-homed server, it does not follow
> that the source
> address used by rpc.statd hosts the same NFS server
> as the mon_name
> address.
>
> Cheers,
> Trond
> --
> Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by mehta kiran

I got your point.
Please ignore my previous mail.

wrote:

> ty den 25.01.2005 Klokka 01:16 (-0800) skreiv mehta
> kiran:
> > Hi ,
> > When i was checking lockd recovery ,
> > i noted that clients after getting
> > notification messages , use mon_id
> > as destination address and not notication
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address.(as just a reply)
> >
> > Is there any issue in using notifcation
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address to reclaim lock. ?
>
> If you have a multi-homed server, it does not follow
> that the source
> address used by rpc.statd hosts the same NFS server
> as the mon_name
> address.
>
> Cheers,
> Trond
> --
> Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by Ara.T.Howard

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> ty den 25.01.2005 Klokka 01:16 (-0800) skreiv mehta kiran:
>> Hi ,
>> When i was checking lockd recovery ,
>> i noted that clients after getting
>> notification messages , use mon_id
>> as destination address and not notication
>> messages's source address as destination
>> address.(as just a reply)
>>
>> Is there any issue in using notifcation
>> messages's source address as destination
>> address to reclaim lock. ?
>
> If you have a multi-homed server, it does not follow that the source
> address used by rpc.statd hosts the same NFS server as the mon_name
> address.
>
> Cheers,
> Trond
> --
> Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

we are still experiencing lockd recovery failure on our multi-homed
client/servers - even with no firewall in place. this thread makes me wonder,
is anything special required to make nfs work on a multi-homed setup?

cheers.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
| bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki

by Trond Myklebust

wrote:

> ty den 25.01.2005 Klokka 01:16 (-0800) skreiv mehta
> kiran:
> > Hi ,
> > When i was checking lockd recovery ,
> > i noted that clients after getting
> > notification messages , use mon_id
> > as destination address and not notication
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address.(as just a reply)
> >
> > Is there any issue in using notifcation
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address to reclaim lock. ?
>
> If you have a multi-homed server, it does not follow
> that the source
> address used by rpc.statd hosts the same NFS server
> as the mon_name
> address.
>
> Cheers,
> Trond
> --
> Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by Trond Myklebust

ty den 25.01.2005 Klokka 22:26 (-0800) skreiv Trond Myklebust:
> > Is there any issue in using notifcation
> > messages's source address as destination
> > address to reclaim lock. ?
>
> If you have a multi-homed server, it does not follow that the source
> address used by rpc.statd hosts the same NFS server as the mon_name
> address.

The other common issue is that the two addresses may have different
firewalling rules.

Cheers,
Trond

--