2005-01-28 12:37:41

by mehta kiran

Subject: problem with umount

Hi ,
I have suse installed(2.6.5-7.109.12-smp)
installed on my machine.umount version 2.12
If i mount filesystems and export them
and if nfs client does some processing on filesystem
, server side sometime fails to unmount it.

But if client stays without doing any processing ,
everything works fine.
I tried using umount <filesystem> -O -l
but this does not work though man pages
say that even if there are reference to filesystem ,
it will be unmounted and later do required cleanup.

As problem arises only when nfs client does some
processing on filesystem , there must be problem in
nfs.(must not be cleaning up all references)
I have read previous thread on " forcing umount "
Have anybody else faced the same problem ?
Is there any fix for this ?

thanks,
kiran

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: problem with umount

fr den 28.01.2005 Klokka 04:37 (-0800) skreiv mehta kiran:

> But if client stays without doing any processing ,
> everything works fine.
> I tried using umount <filesystem> -O -l
> but this does not work though man pages
> say that even if there are reference to filesystem ,
> it will be unmounted and later do required cleanup.

>From the manpage for "umount":

-O options
Indicate that the actions should only be taken on file systems
with the specified options in /etc/fstab. More than one option
type may be specified in a comma separated list. Each option
can be prefixed with no to specify options for which no action
should be taken.

AFAIK, there is no "-l" _mount_ option, so it is extremely unlikely that
your NFS-mounted filesystems are listed in /etc/fstab as using it.
You're better off trying with "umount -l /filesystem".

Better still, fix your init scripts so that they kill whatever process
it is that is still using the NFS partition and causing the regular
"umount" to fail: *NIX does NOT allow you to unmount partitions that are
*in use*.

Cheers,
Trond
--