2005-01-31 22:02:41

by Malte Cornils

Subject: NFS locking and OpenBSD

Hello,

since OpenBSD as NFS-server supports only NLM 1,2,3. Linux clients with no
specific mount options use NFS version 3. However, Linux uses NLM version 4
with that (fs/lockd/nlmclnt_proc.c, line 113 in 2.6.8).

When set to nfsvers=2, it works, but NFS 2 is (too) slow due to caching etc.

Could we simply set NLM locking version to 1 in the source code
unconditionally (even for NFS version 3) and expect NFS to work (i.e. is NFS
protocol 3 able to use older NLM versions than 4)? Of course, I only expect
an answer from the Linux point of view.

-Malte

BTW, I've tried to search the mailing list archives but only found a post from
2002 with no answer.

(BTW, anyone using KDE on NFS-mounted homedirs? The problem occurs in the
startup phase in kded (when the second icon in the splash blinks) at first
login. On a local file system, the login is 20-30 seconds faster than on our
NFS-mounted homedirs)