2005-03-16 14:47:31

by mehta kiran

Subject: Re: problem mounting using NFSv4 when using -o sec=krb5 option

I rebooted the machine due to some problem.
That problem has vanished but i get following message

Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
Failed to obtain machine credentials for connection to
server vcslinux1.vxindia.veritas.com
Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
failed reading uid from krb5 upcall pipe: Success
Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: WARNING: Key
table entry not found while getting initial ticket for
principal
'nfs/[email protected]'
from keytab 'FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab'
Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: ERROR: No
usable machine credentials obtained

thanks,
--kiran

--- mehta kiran <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi ,
> Yes , module rpcsec_gss_krb5 is loaded.
> RHEL GA is installed on my machines
> thanks,
> --kiran
> --- Kevin Coffman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is your server's kernel built with
> > CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_KRB5?
> > If it is built as a module, is the module loaded?
> >

> > > Hi ,
> > > I have exported filesystems to client but
> > > when client mounts using
> > > mount -t nfs4 -o sec=krb5 vcslinux1:/
> /share
> >
> > > it gets error :
> > > -------------
> > > kernel: RPC: Couldn't create auth handle
> > (flavor
> > > 390003)
> > > kernel: NFS: cannot create RPC client.
> > > rpc.idmapd: open
> > > (/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt23)
> > > --------------
> > >
> > > nfs sevver is runnnig on vcslinux1 system
> and
> >
> > > client on vcslinux5
> > >
> > > Ouput of klist -k /etc/krb5.keytab on server
> > >
> > > 3

nfs/[email protected]
> > > 2 root/[email protected]
> > > 2

root/[email protected]
> > > 3

ftp/[email protected]

> > > All nfs daemons are running. rpc.svcgssd and
> > > rpc.idmapd is also runnnig.
> > >
> > > On client side rpc.gssd is runnnig with -m
> option.
> > >

> > > thanks,
> > > --kiran

> > > Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources
> > site!
> > > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/

> > > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> > Products from real users.
> > > Discover which products truly live up to the
> hype.
> > Start reading now.

> Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> Products from real users.
> Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> Start reading now.

by Trond Myklebust

on den 16.03.2005 Klokka 06:47 (-0800) skreiv mehta kiran:
> I rebooted the machine due to some problem.
> That problem has vanished but i get following message
>
> Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
> Failed to obtain machine credentials for connection to
> server vcslinux1.vxindia.veritas.com
> Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
> failed reading uid from krb5 upcall pipe: Success
> Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: WARNING: Key
> table entry not found while getting initial ticket for
> principal
> 'nfs/[email protected]'
> from keytab 'FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab'
> Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: ERROR: No
> usable machine credentials obtained

So what is the name of your client? It looks like your keytab file has a
credential for nfs/vcslinux1, but the syslog entries above appear to
refer to vcslinux5.

If the client name is vcslinux5, then the credential in the keytab
should be nfs/[email protected]

Cheers,
Trond

> --- mehta kiran <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi ,
> > Yes , module rpcsec_gss_krb5 is loaded.
> > RHEL GA is installed on my machines
> > thanks,
> > --kiran
> > --- Kevin Coffman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Is your server's kernel built with
> > > CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_KRB5?
> > > If it is built as a module, is the module loaded?

> > /share

> > > (flavor

> > and

> nfs/[email protected]
> > > >

> root/[email protected]
> > > >

> ftp/[email protected]

> > option.

> > > site!

> > > Products from real users.
> > hype.
> > > Start reading now.

> > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> > Products from real users.
> > Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> > Start reading now.

Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by mehta kiran

Hi ,
Client machine is vcslinux5 . I added entry for
nfs/vcslinux5.... to /etc/krb5.keytab on server.

I copied same keytab file to client side.Is this ok?

output of klist -k /etc/krb5.keytab on server
3 nfs/[email protected]
3
nfs/[email protected]
2 root/[email protected]
2
root/[email protected]
3
root/[email protected]
2
ftp/[email protected]
3
nfs/[email protected]

Error in log file on mount
Mar 16 14:58:43 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4258]: WARNING:
failed reading uid from krb5 upcall pipe: Success
Mar 16 14:58:43 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: WARNING: Key
table entry not found while getting initial ticket for
principal
'nfs/[email protected]'
from keytab 'FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab'
Mar 16 14:58:43 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: ERROR: No
usable machine credentials obtained
Mar 16 14:58:43 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: WARNING:
Failed to obtain machine credentials for connection to
server vcslinux1.vxindia.veritas.com
Mar 16 14:59:08 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
Failed to create krb5 context for user with uid 0 with
any credentials cache for server
vcslinux1.vxindia.veritas.com
Mar 16 14:59:08 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: Failed to
write error downcall!

thanks,
--kiran

wrote:

> on den 16.03.2005 Klokka 06:47 (-0800) skreiv mehta
> kiran:
> > I rebooted the machine due to some problem.
> > That problem has vanished but i get following
> message
> >
> > Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
> > Failed to obtain machine credentials for
> connection to
> > server vcslinux1.vxindia.veritas.com
> > Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[2760]: WARNING:
> > failed reading uid from krb5 upcall pipe: Success
> > Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: WARNING:
> Key
> > table entry not found while getting initial ticket
> for
> > principal

'nfs/[email protected]'
> > from keytab 'FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab'
> > Mar 16 14:04:02 vcslinux5 rpc.gssd[4405]: ERROR:
> No
> > usable machine credentials obtained
>
> So what is the name of your client? It looks like
> your keytab file has a
> credential for nfs/vcslinux1, but the syslog entries
> above appear to
> refer to vcslinux5.
>
> If the client name is vcslinux5, then the credential
> in the keytab
> should be

nfs/[email protected]

> Cheers,
> Trond
>

> > --- mehta kiran <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi ,
> > > Yes , module rpcsec_gss_krb5 is loaded.
> > > RHEL GA is installed on my machines
> > > thanks,
> > > --kiran
> loaded?

> but
> > > /share

> handle

> system
> > > and

> server

nfs/[email protected]

root/[email protected]

ftp/[email protected]

> > > option.

> resources

> Guide
> IT
> > > hype.

> > > Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources
> site!
> > > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/

> > > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> > > Products from real users.
> > > Discover which products truly live up to the
> hype.
> > > Start reading now.

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> Products from real users.
> > Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> Start reading now.

> Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by Kevin Coffman

A keytab hold's a machine's keys. Not keys to talk to other servers.
(Those are obtained from the KDC.)

The client machine, vcslinux5, should have a keytab entry for:
nfs/[email protected]

The server machine, vcslinux1, should have a keytab entry for:
nfs/[email protected]

The key version number of the key in the keytab (the number listed in
the output of klist -k) must match the key version number of the entry
in the Kerberos database.

> [...]
> > in the keytab
> > should be
> >
> nfs/[email protected]
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Trond

> > loaded?

> > but

> > handle

> > system

> > server

> nfs/[email protected]
> > > > > >

> root/[email protected]
> > > > > >

> ftp/[email protected]

> > resources

> > Guide
> > IT

> > site!

> > hype.

> > protection around
> > > http://mail.yahoo.com

> > > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> > Products from real users.
> > > Discover which products truly live up to the hype.

by Kevin Coffman

Also, "failed reading uid from krb5 upcall" and "Failed to write error
downcall" should not normally happen. What versions of kernel and
nfs-utils do you have?