2005-03-15 21:03:45

by Sean Dogar

Subject: nhfsstone

Has anybody used the nfs benchmarking utility "nhfsstone"?

I can run it, and I can see that it's doing work (it makes test
directories in the NFS-mounted directory that I start it from), but it
never finishes it's testing or gives me any performance info. I've
tried the various options, including a -t 120 (I thought that this would
restrict run-time to 120 seconds) and others, but I still get no output,
even with verbose. It doesn't send any output to files either. It just
runs and runs. This is on a Redhat 8 machine as a client mounting an
AIX NFS export.

The man page is sort of vague, but I get the impression that you can run
it without any arguments, and it will do a test with the various
defaults, and eventually should return.

Does anybody have any idea on this or do you know somewhere to point me
for more info? Most of the stuff I've found through Google has been the
man page itself.

-Sean

by Denis Vlasenko

Subject: Re: nhfsstone

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 23:03, Sean Dogar wrote:
> Has anybody used the nfs benchmarking utility "nhfsstone"?
>
> I can run it, and I can see that it's doing work (it makes test
> directories in the NFS-mounted directory that I start it from), but it
> never finishes it's testing or gives me any performance info. I've
> tried the various options, including a -t 120 (I thought that this would
> restrict run-time to 120 seconds) and others, but I still get no output,
> even with verbose. It doesn't send any output to files either. It just
> runs and runs. This is on a Redhat 8 machine as a client mounting an
> AIX NFS export.
>
> The man page is sort of vague, but I get the impression that you can run
> it without any arguments, and it will do a test with the various
> defaults, and eventually should return.
>
> Does anybody have any idea on this or do you know somewhere to point me
> for more info? Most of the stuff I've found through Google has been the
> man page itself.

I'd look into its source code (only 36k of it) if I were you.
--
vda

by G. Allen Morris III

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:03:40PM -0700, Sean Dogar wrote:
> Has anybody used the nfs benchmarking utility "nhfsstone"?
>
> I can run it, and I can see that it's doing work (it makes test
> directories in the NFS-mounted directory that I start it from), but it
> never finishes it's testing or gives me any performance info. I've
> tried the various options, including a -t 120 (I thought that this would
> restrict run-time to 120 seconds) and others, but I still get no output,
> even with verbose. It doesn't send any output to files either. It just
> runs and runs. This is on a Redhat 8 machine as a client mounting an
> AIX NFS export.
>
> The man page is sort of vague, but I get the impression that you can run
> it without any arguments, and it will do a test with the various
> defaults, and eventually should return.
>
> Does anybody have any idea on this or do you know somewhere to point me
> for more info? Most of the stuff I've found through Google has been the
> man page itself.

It seems that nhfsstone only benchmarks nfs v2 filesystems. It is
likely that you are using v3.

Allen Morris

by Sean Dogar

G. Allen Morris III wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:03:40PM -0700, Sean Dogar wrote:
>

>>Has anybody used the nfs benchmarking utility "nhfsstone"?
>>
>>I can run it, and I can see that it's doing work (it makes test
>>directories in the NFS-mounted directory that I start it from), but it
>>never finishes it's testing or gives me any performance info. I've
>>tried the various options, including a -t 120 (I thought that this would
>>restrict run-time to 120 seconds) and others, but I still get no output,
>>even with verbose. It doesn't send any output to files either. It just
>>runs and runs. This is on a Redhat 8 machine as a client mounting an
>>AIX NFS export.
>>
>>The man page is sort of vague, but I get the impression that you can run
>>it without any arguments, and it will do a test with the various
>>defaults, and eventually should return.
>>
>>Does anybody have any idea on this or do you know somewhere to point me
>>for more info? Most of the stuff I've found through Google has been the
>>man page itself.
>>

>It seems that nhfsstone only benchmarks nfs v2 filesystems. It is
>likely that you are using v3.
>
>Allen Morris

That's exactly what it is...thank you.

-Sean