2005-03-17 16:01:34

by Johan van den Dorpe

Subject: Can someone explain me what this error means?

Mar 16 12:25:55 nyserv1 kernel: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 5160 bytes
of 8324 - shutting down socket

We get this just before the machine becomes inaccessable from the network.

--
Johan van den Dorpe

by Johan van den Dorpe

Subject: Re: Can someone explain me what this error means?

Trond Myklebust wrote:
> to den 17.03.2005 Klokka 17:37 (+0100) skreiv Vincent Roqueta:
>

>>The kernel is the 2.4.20, using the e1000 driver... That looks like the bug I
>>had with UDP fragmentation? I used the same driver!
>

> Possibly, but there are a bunch of patches that went into 2.4.21 that
> look like they might be relevant:
>
> v2.4.22-pre1:
> o kNFSd: TCP nfsd connection hangs when partial record header is
> received
> o kNFSd: Make sure an early close on a nfs/tcp connection is handled
> properly
>
> I would first try to reproduce on a newer kernel.

Hiya,

I upgraded to 2.4.25 and this fixed the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.

--
Johan van den Dorpe

by Trond Myklebust

to den 17.03.2005 Klokka 16:00 (+0000) skreiv Johan van den Dorpe:
> Mar 16 12:25:55 nyserv1 kernel: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 5160 bytes
> of 8324 - shutting down socket
>
> We get this just before the machine becomes inaccessable from the network.

Is this an error from the kernel nfs daemon? If so, which kernel are you
running, 'cos there is no such error message in Linux-2.6.11.

Cheers,
Trond
--
Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

by Johan van den Dorpe

Trond Myklebust wrote:
> to den 17.03.2005 Klokka 16:00 (+0000) skreiv Johan van den Dorpe:
>
>>Mar 16 12:25:55 nyserv1 kernel: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 5160 bytes
>>of 8324 - shutting down socket
>>
>>We get this just before the machine becomes inaccessable from the network.
>

> Is this an error from the kernel nfs daemon? If so, which kernel are you
> running, 'cos there is no such error message in Linux-2.6.11.

The kernel is 2.4.20. I also get this message just before:

Mar 17 10:33:10 nyserv1 kernel: RPC svc_write_space: some sleeping on
f63c5280

--
Johan van den Dorpe

by Vincent Roqueta

Le jeudi 17 Mars 2005 17:00, Johan van den Dorpe a =E9crit=A0:
> Mar 16 12:25:55 nyserv1 kernel: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 5160 bytes
> of 8324 - shutting down socket
That appears with a UDP NFSv3 connection?
What is your kernel and your netcard?

Vincent Roqueta wrote:
> Le jeudi 17 Mars 2005 17:00, Johan van den Dorpe a =E9crit :
>=20
>>Mar 16 12:25:55 nyserv1 kernel: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 5160 bytes
>>of 8324 - shutting down socket
>=20
> That appears with a UDP NFSv3 connection?

Untested at present, but we may look at that.

> What is your kernel and your netcard?

2.4.20, Intel Pro e1000.

--=20
Johan van den Dorpe

by Vincent Roqueta

Le jeudi 17 Mars 2005 17:08, Trond Myklebust a =E9crit=A0:
> to den 17.03.2005 Klokka 16:00 (+0000) skreiv Johan van den Dorpe:
> > Mar 16 12:25:55 nyserv1 kernel: rpc-srv/tcp: nfsd: sent only 5160 bytes
> > of 8324 - shutting down socket
> >
> > We get this just before the machine becomes inaccessable from the
> > network.
>
> Is this an error from the kernel nfs daemon? If so, which kernel are you
> running, 'cos there is no such error message in Linux-2.6.11.
>
> Cheers,
> Trond

HelloTrond,

The kernel is the 2.4.20, using the e1000 driver... That looks like the bug=
I=20
had with UDP fragmentation? I used the same driver!

Vincent

by Trond Myklebust