2005-03-29 11:50:36

by Beschorner Daniel

Subject: Statd problem

Since the first reboot of our clients (mainly AIX) after we updated our NFS
server from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 we get sporadically these server log entries, I
think after each client reboot:

Mar 29 12:44:31 server rpc.statd[3201]: recv_rply: [127.0.0.1] RPC status 1
Mar 29 12:44:49 server last message repeated 3 times
Mar 29 12:44:55 server rpc.statd[3201]: Can't callback server (100021,4),
giving up.

What do they mean? No further problems are seen.
Mounts are TCP/V3.

Thanks
Daniel

by mehta kiran

Subject: Re: Statd problem

Hi Daniel ,
lockd has rpc service no. 100021 . This message
means that statd is not able to talk to statd.
Are there any files on client side in /var/lib/nfs/sm
when it restarts ?

Try deleting all this files before nfs restarts on
client.

Also see that lockd is registered with
portmapper.(use command rpcinfo -p)

regards,
--kiran

--- Beschorner Daniel <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Since the first reboot of our clients (mainly AIX)
> after we updated our NFS
> server from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 we get sporadically
> these server log entries, I
> think after each client reboot:
>
> Mar 29 12:44:31 server rpc.statd[3201]: recv_rply:
> [127.0.0.1] RPC status 1
> Mar 29 12:44:49 server last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 29 12:44:55 server rpc.statd[3201]: Can't
> callback server (100021,4),
> giving up.
>
> What do they mean? No further problems are seen.
> Mounts are TCP/V3.
>
> Thanks
> Daniel

> Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> Products from real users.
> Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> Start reading now.

by mehta kiran

one change.
statd cannot talk to lockd
--- mehta kiran <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Daniel ,
> lockd has rpc service no. 100021 . This message
> means that statd is not able to talk to statd.
> Are there any files on client side in
> /var/lib/nfs/sm
> when it restarts ?
>
> Try deleting all this files before nfs restarts on
> client.
>
> Also see that lockd is registered with
> portmapper.(use command rpcinfo -p)
>
> regards,
> --kiran
>

> --- Beschorner Daniel <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Since the first reboot of our clients (mainly AIX)
> > after we updated our NFS
> > server from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 we get sporadically
> > these server log entries, I
> > think after each client reboot:
> >
> > Mar 29 12:44:31 server rpc.statd[3201]: recv_rply:
> > [127.0.0.1] RPC status 1
> > Mar 29 12:44:49 server last message repeated 3
> times
> > Mar 29 12:44:55 server rpc.statd[3201]: Can't
> > callback server (100021,4),
> > giving up.
> >
> > What do they mean? No further problems are seen.
> > Mounts are TCP/V3.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Daniel

> > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> > Products from real users.
> > Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> > Start reading now.

> Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> Products from real users.
> Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> Start reading now.

by Beschorner Daniel

The AIX clients only contain an empty file named as the server in their sm
directory.
rpcinfo -p shows nlockmgr vers 1/3/4 tcp/udp running on the server.
nfs-utils are 1.0.7.

I got a a similar problem (same messages) in past with kernel 2.2 and lockd
zombies.
All is working fine, but the messages started in march so I assumed that
there was a change between 2.6.10 and 11?!?

For the easiest answer to this question, I will do a rollback to 2.6.10 and
see.

Thanks
Daniel

----------

wrote:
> Since the first reboot of our clients (mainly AIX)
> after we updated our NFS
> server from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 we get sporadically
> these server log entries, I
> think after each client reboot:
>
> Mar 29 12:44:31 server rpc.statd[3201]: recv_rply:
> [127.0.0.1] RPC status 1
> Mar 29 12:44:49 server last message repeated 3 times
> Mar 29 12:44:55 server rpc.statd[3201]: Can't
> callback server (100021,4),
> giving up.
>
> What do they mean? No further problems are seen.
> Mounts are TCP/V3.
>
> Thanks
> Daniel

> Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> Products from real users.
> Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> Start reading now.

by mehta kiran

Hi Daniel ,
That was a typo.
Remove files from sm.bak if any.
This problem existed on solaris 8 as well.
Hopefully , removing these files will solve the
problem.
wrote:
> The AIX clients only contain an empty file named as
> the server in their sm
> directory.
> rpcinfo -p shows nlockmgr vers 1/3/4 tcp/udp running
> on the server.
> nfs-utils are 1.0.7.
>
> I got a a similar problem (same messages) in past
> with kernel 2.2 and lockd
> zombies.
> All is working fine, but the messages started in
> march so I assumed that
> there was a change between 2.6.10 and 11?!?
>
> For the easiest answer to this question, I will do a
> rollback to 2.6.10 and
> see.
>
> Thanks
> Daniel
>

> ----------
> Hi Daniel ,
> lockd has rpc service no. 100021 . This message
> means that statd is not able to talk to statd.
> Are there any files on client side in
> /var/lib/nfs/sm
> when it restarts ?
>
> Try deleting all this files before nfs restarts on
> client.
>
> Also see that lockd is registered with
> portmapper.(use command rpcinfo -p)
>
> regards,
> --kiran
>

> --- Beschorner Daniel <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Since the first reboot of our clients (mainly AIX)
> > after we updated our NFS
> > server from 2.6.10 to 2.6.11 we get sporadically
> > these server log entries, I
> > think after each client reboot:
> >
> > Mar 29 12:44:31 server rpc.statd[3201]: recv_rply:
> > [127.0.0.1] RPC status 1
> > Mar 29 12:44:49 server last message repeated 3
> times
> > Mar 29 12:44:55 server rpc.statd[3201]: Can't
> > callback server (100021,4),
> > giving up.
> >
> > What do they mean? No further problems are seen.
> > Mounts are TCP/V3.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Daniel

> > Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> > Products from real users.
> > Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> > Start reading now.

> Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT
> Products from real users.
> Discover which products truly live up to the hype.
> Start reading now.

by Beschorner Daniel

Hi Kiran,

sm.bak is empty, on the server and the clients.
I will post tomorrow if 2.6.10 makes a difference.

Thank you
Daniel