2005-04-20 08:06:10

by Annette Bitz

Subject: nfsserver (Suse Linux 9.2) has problems with unix-clients

Hi!

I just installed a new server, one of it's roles being our nfsserver.

I installed an actual Suse 9.2 professional (from DVD) using the following
things:
- Linux ... 2.6.8-24-smp #1 SMP Wed Oct 6 09:16:23 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
-> kernel-smp-2.6.8-24
kernel-source-2.6.8-24
kernel-smp-nongpl-2.6.8-24
- yast2-nfs-server-2.10.5-2
- nfs-server-2.2beta51-208
- yast2-nfs-client-2.10.5-2

The connection Linux server -> Linux client runs without any problem, but...
I also try to connect from some Unix boxes with different unices. There are:
- SunOS ... 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000
- HP-UX ... B.11.11 U 9000/782 2011691852 unlimited-user license
- HP-UX ... B.11.00 A 9000/785 2009266684 two-user license
- IRIX64 ... 6.5 04091957 IP30
- AIX ... 2 5 0041192C4C00

All platforms make problems with the new server. I can mount the shares, but
the performance is really poor. I get many nfs stale-file handles.
On Sun (only there?) I have the problem, that when I touch a file/directory, I
don't see it resp. the changes immediately.

I googled around, but I can't find anything. I only found somesthing like
"Just watch out that NFS can make assumptions about inodes - particularly
the kernel-mode NFS daemon.", but I don't know what this means (but it sounds
good ;-) ).

Please help me!
And please send a copy of your answer directly to me, for I'm new to the list
and I don't know, if I receive the mails yet.

Thanks in advance,
Annette

by Christian Leber

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:06:07AM +0200, Annette Bitz wrote:

> - nfs-server-2.2beta51-208

This is the userspace NFS server.
Please retry with the kernel nfsd.
(no idea, perhaps it's enough to remove the package)

Important HINT for all users of SuSE 9.2:
when you are replacing this old kernel with something recent vanilla you have to
get and start a rpc.lockd, because the SuSE kernel has some funky NFS
patches and with them a kernelspace lockd.

Christian Leber

--
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com

by Olaf Kirch

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:01:30PM +0200, Christian Leber wrote:
> Important HINT for all users of SuSE 9.2:
> when you are replacing this old kernel with something recent vanilla you have to
> get and start a rpc.lockd, because the SuSE kernel has some funky NFS
> patches and with them a kernelspace lockd.

Lockd has been a kernel thread all along from day one. What you're
referring to is the kernel space statd.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
[email protected] | / | \ sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax

by Olaf Kirch

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:06:07AM +0200, Annette Bitz wrote:
> - nfs-server-2.2beta51-208

As already pointed out, please do not use unfsd anymore. It's included in
the distribution for some very special use scenarios, but the default
should be the kernel nfsd.

Olaf
--

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:50:10AM +0200, Olaf Kirch wrote:
> Lockd has been a kernel thread all along from day one. What you're
> referring to is the kernel space statd.

Yes, of course.
Just wanted to give this hint, took me more than 2 days :-)

Christian Leber

--
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com