2005-11-10 12:44:19

by Thomas, Dave

Subject: NFS inconsistencies experienced between server and client.

Hi,

I currently a web site consisting of one NFS server and 2 clients
running RedHat AS3.0 (kernel 2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp)

Clients run:-

Apache/2.0.52

jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4

nfs-utils-1.0.6-33EL

Server runs:-

mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.13, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline
4.3

nfs-utils-1.0.6-33EL

The server shares out a directory /data01/www, mounted as /www on the
clients, which contains the DocumentRoot used by apache.

New content is uploaded to the server at /data01/www, several times a
day.

I am seeing inconsistencies between some files on the server, and the
same files on the client, index.shtml files in particular.

When I run a checksum on certain files on the clients and server,
different results are obtained. The checksums, and the files, only
become identical if the file is deleted before being uploaded onto the
server, but this is not an option.

If the file is not deleted, before being uploaded, they remain different
indefinitely.

The filesystem is exported with the options (rw,async), and mounted with
following (rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=15,rw,hard,intr).

We have tested by changing several mount options, including:-

Server export with ro, client mount with ro, client mount with noac. We
have increased the number of nfs threads on the server from 8 to 16.

But the problem is still being experienced, and is becoming a critical
issue, as the website shows different data, depending upon which client
you connect to.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dave.

2005-11-10 15:16:50

by Neil Horman

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:42:54PM -0000, Thomas, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I currently a web site consisting of one NFS server and 2 clients
> running RedHat AS3.0 (kernel 2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp)

Have you tried this with the latest RHEL3 kernel? I remember a simmilar problem
being addressed some time ago.
Neil

> Clients run:-
>
> Apache/2.0.52
>
> jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4
>
> nfs-utils-1.0.6-33EL
>

> Server runs:-
>
> mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.13, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline
> 4.3
>
> nfs-utils-1.0.6-33EL
>

> The server shares out a directory /data01/www, mounted as /www on the
> clients, which contains the DocumentRoot used by apache.
>

> New content is uploaded to the server at /data01/www, several times a
> day.
>

> I am seeing inconsistencies between some files on the server, and the
> same files on the client, index.shtml files in particular.
>
> When I run a checksum on certain files on the clients and server,
> different results are obtained. The checksums, and the files, only
> become identical if the file is deleted before being uploaded onto the
> server, but this is not an option.
>
> If the file is not deleted, before being uploaded, they remain different
> indefinitely.
>

> The filesystem is exported with the options (rw,async), and mounted with
> following (rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=15,rw,hard,intr).
>
> We have tested by changing several mount options, including:-
>
> Server export with ro, client mount with ro, client mount with noac. We
> have increased the number of nfs threads on the server from 8 to 16.
>

> But the problem is still being experienced, and is becoming a critical
> issue, as the website shows different data, depending upon which client
> you connect to.
>

> Any thoughts would be welcome.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Dave.

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.
*[email protected]
*gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
*http://pgp.mit.edu

by Thomas, Dave

I've tried client with AS3.0U5, but still experiencing issues. Not able
to update the server easily.
Also have tried to mount with data caching disabled by adding=20

options nfs nfs_uncached_io=3D1

to the /etc/modules.conf file, but get following error on reboot.

insmod: Warning: ignoring nfs_uncached_io=3D1, no such parameter in this
module

--=20
*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer