2006-02-07 11:34:57

by Daniel Bramkamp

Subject: Permission denied

Hi list,

I am experiencing some issues with a NFS server running on Linux Kernel
2.4.26 with nfs-utils-1.0.6 installed. Basically it works great,
however, sometimes access to files and directories stored on the server
is denied for a certain user account. I am not sure if it affects other
users as well - only heard complaints from that particular user so far.
This happens very infrequently. They mainly use KDE's Konqueror to
access the NFS shares but the problem affects Gnome's Nautilus and the
KDE konsole as well. Any ideas what could cause this weird behaviour ?

TIA
--
Daniel Bramkamp

by Tradebit System

Subject: RE: Permission denied

> great, however, sometimes access to files and directories
> stored on the server is denied for a certain user account. I
> am not sure if it affects other users as well - only heard
> complaints from that particular user so far.

daniel,

just a wild guess: did you compare the user IDs in /etc/shadow
on both systems?

if you do a "ls -l" on the files on the client, who is the owner
and what are the access flags?

eg:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 ftp users 28076 Dec 19 18:59 somefile.tgz

that would mean, that only the user "ftp" and the members of the
group "users" could write (and delete) the file.

compare these flags and ownerships on both systems.

Cheers!

--
Ralf Schwoebel
http://www.tradebit.com/

by Daniel Bramkamp

Quoting Tradebit Service <[email protected]>:

>> great, however, sometimes access to files and directories
>> stored on the server is denied for a certain user account. I
>> am not sure if it affects other users as well - only heard
>> complaints from that particular user so far.
>
> daniel,

Hi Ralf,

thanks for your reply.

> just a wild guess: did you compare the user IDs in /etc/shadow
> on both systems?

sorry, I should have added this to my orginal post. The user accounts
are managed via LDAP. UIDs start at 10000 and they do not overlap with
system accounts. Also, when the problem arises, access to all NFS
shares is denied, not just a single directory or file.

--
Daniel Bramkamp

team! datentechnik GmbH & Co.KG
Werner von Siemens Stra=DFe 12a