2006-02-15 14:54:40

by mehta kiran

Subject: query about clnt_create

Hi,
Can clnt_create for NFS versions fail in any
case due to security setting on NFS Sever ?
I have a small application which detects
health of NFS server by creating client
handle for required NFS version+protocol.
Can this ever fail consistenly=20
due to security or any other =20
settings on NFS server
(nfs client system and server are connected to=20
network, there is no hardware/(network load)=20
problem and portmapper + all nfs daemons are=20
runnnig)?
=20
thanks,
kiran
=20

les
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=3Dlnk&kid=3D103432&bid=3D230486&dat=3D=
121642

by Kevin Coffman

Subject: Re: query about clnt_create

What kind of error do you get back from the clnt_create() ?

On 2/15/06, mehta kiran <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Can clnt_create for NFS versions fail in any
> case due to security setting on NFS Sever ?
> I have a small application which detects
> health of NFS server by creating client
> handle for required NFS version+protocol.
> Can this ever fail consistenly
> due to security or any other
> settings on NFS server
> (nfs client system and server are connected to
> network, there is no hardware/(network load)
> problem and portmapper + all nfs daemons are
> runnnig)?
>
> thanks,
> kiran

les
> for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
> searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=3Dlnk&kid=3D103432&bid=3D230486&dat=
=3D121642

by mehta kiran

Hi Kevin,
Sorry for not mentioning this.
I do not get any error.
Customers can have different settings
for NFS daemons.
I just want to confirm if
clnt_create is a realiable=20
way to monitor different=20
versions of nfsd running.
=20
thanks,
kiran
=20

=20
=20
=20

--- Kevin Coffman <[email protected]> wrote:

> What kind of error do you get back from the
> clnt_create() ?
>=20
> On 2/15/06, mehta kiran <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Can clnt_create for NFS versions fail in any
> > case due to security setting on NFS Sever ?
> > I have a small application which detects
> > health of NFS server by creating client
> > handle for required NFS version+protocol.
> > Can this ever fail consistenly
> > due to security or any other
> > settings on NFS server
> > (nfs client system and server are connected to
> > network, there is no hardware/(network load)
> > problem and portmapper + all nfs daemons are
> > runnnig)?
> >
> > thanks,
> > kiran

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> you grep through log files
> > for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search
> engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the=20
> web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=3Dlnk&kid=3D103432&bid=3D230486&dat=3D=
121642

>=20

--- Kevin Coffman <[email protected]> wrote:

> What kind of error do you get back from the
> clnt_create() ?
>=20
> On 2/15/06, mehta kiran <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Can clnt_create for NFS versions fail in any
> > case due to security setting on NFS Sever ?
> > I have a small application which detects
> > health of NFS server by creating client
> > handle for required NFS version+protocol.
> > Can this ever fail consistenly
> > due to security or any other
> > settings on NFS server
> > (nfs client system and server are connected to
> > network, there is no hardware/(network load)
> > problem and portmapper + all nfs daemons are
> > runnnig)?
> >
> > thanks,
> > kiran

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> you grep through log files
> > for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search
> engine that makes
> > searching your log files as easy as surfing the=20
> web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!

http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=3Dlnk&kid=3D103432&bid=3D230486&dat=3D=
121642

>=20

les
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=3Dlnk&kid=3D103432&bid=3D230486&dat=3D=
121642

by Trond Myklebust

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 08:16 -0800, mehta kiran wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
> Sorry for not mentioning this.
> I do not get any error.
> Customers can have different settings
> for NFS daemons.
> I just want to confirm if
> clnt_create is a realiable
> way to monitor different
> versions of nfsd running.

The only reasonably reliable way to check for RPC service availability
is to ping it using a NULL rpc call (procedure number == 0 and no
arguments).

Cheers,
Trond

by mehta kiran

I noticed that clnt_create takes 3.5 min for tcp
and 1 min for udp protocol by default
(when taget system in UNREACHABLE). Anyway to modify
default timeout ? I could see that there are
functions like clnt_create_timed on solaris 5.8/5.9
but not on linux.

thanks,
kiran

--- Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 00:39 -0800, mehta kiran wrote:
> I noticed that clnt_create takes 3.5 min for tcp
> and 1 min for udp protocol by default
> (when taget system in UNREACHABLE). Anyway to modify
> default timeout ? I could see that there are
> functions like clnt_create_timed on solaris 5.8/5.9
> but not on linux.

'man 3 rpc' and look for the clnt_control() function

Cheers
Trond

by mehta kiran

Hi Trond,
perhaps i was not clear.
I am talking about timeout for clnt_create
and not about clnt_call which already has
client handle in place. clnt_control will act on=20
client handle and i am searching for something which

will create client handle within specified timeout=20
if possible.

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 05:15 -0800, mehta kiran wrote:
> Hi Trond,
> perhaps i was not clear.
> I am talking about timeout for clnt_create
> and not about clnt_call which already has
> client handle in place. clnt_control will act on
> client handle and i am searching for something which
>
> will create client handle within specified timeout
> if possible.

AFAICS clnt_create() will only do RPC calls if you fail to specify the
port number to connect to, in which case it needs to call pmap_getport.

The portmapper timeout values appear to be hardcoded into the glibc rpc
code, but writing your own client for PMAP_GETPORT should be trivial.

Cheers
Trond