2006-04-07 07:33:34

by Julio Prada

Subject: nfs over 2tb limitation

Hello,

The scenario is a Hp clustered gateway that theorically can virtualize up to 16TB, and it seems that the limitation it's on NFS client that only can reach up to 2TB on large filesystems.

Please, could you confirm whether nfs client cannot see more than 2 TB file systems?

There is any workaround?

Julio Prada

Project Manager

ID Grup Support Professional Services

Ronda General Mitre, 67 - 08017 Barcelona

Tel: 933 933 930 / 610 278 007 - Fax: 932 052 033

[email protected]

ID Grup Services

ID Grup Support Professional Services * ID Grup Customer Services *

Ibernet Telem?tica * Method Software * ID Grup Business Solutions

________________________

Este mensaje y todos los ficheros adjuntos que ?ste contiene son confidenciales y est?n destinados exclusivamente al uso individual de la persona a la que van dirigidos. Si Vd. ha recibido este mensaje por rror, rogamos lo devuelva a la persona que se lo ha enviado. Queda estrictamente prohibida la publicaci?n, uso, difusi?n, impresi?n

copia no autorizada de este mensaje y de los documentos adjuntos que ?ste contiene. Las ideas y opiniones manifestadas en este mensaje corresponden nicamente a su autor y no representan necesariamente a las de Red de Empresas ID Grup

2006-04-07 07:45:35

by Ramon van Alteren

Subject: Re: nfs over 2tb limitation

See below for output from a 32-bit nfs client to our 9Tb NAS.

10.10.0.80:/data/MEDIA
9.0T 5.5T 3.6T 62% /mnt/spinvis
# 09:43:07 > uname -a
Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Mon Oct 24 13:16:38 CEST 2005 i686 Intel
(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Does that answer your question ?

Regards,

Ramon

--
Change what you're saying,
Don't change what you said

The Eels

2006-04-07 07:48:43

by Garrick Staples

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:34:30AM +0200, Julio Prada alleged:

> Please, could you confirm whether nfs client cannot see more than 2 TB file systems?

No problem here!

$ uname -r
2.4.21-37.0.1.EL.1uschugemem
$ df -h .
samfs3:/export/samfs-ddn/rcf-104
30T 21T 8.5T 72% /auto/rcf-104

University of Southern California

Attachments:
(No filename) (449.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Trond Myklebust

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 09:34 +0200, Julio Prada wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> =20
>=20
> The scenario is a Hp clustered gateway that theorically can virtualize
> up to 16TB, and it seems that the limitation it=E2=80=99s on NFS client t=
hat
> only can reach up to 2TB on large filesystems.

Nope. That is completely wrong. The NFS client neither knows nor cares
about the size of your filesystem. If you have > 2TB accessible on the
server, then the client can and will use it.

What is true, though, is that if you compile without CONFIG_LBD (or
CONFIG_LSF on 2.6.17-rc1) then the statfs() and statvfs() system calls
will incapable of displaying more than 2TB.
IOW: 'df' will display some incorrectly small size.

Cheers,
Trond