2006-05-01 13:44:08

by mehta kiran

Subject: reason for mountd upcall

Hi,
I see number of files in nfsd filesystem which
are readable and writable by user processes
like rpc.mountd(for upcalls).
Looks like same thing can be done in kernel.
Is this only to move some
complex code from kernel to userland ?

Thanks,
kiran

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20
http://mail.yahoo.com=20

Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job ea=
sier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronim=
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=3Dlnk&kid=3D120709&bid=3D263057&dat=3D=
121642

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: reason for mountd upcall

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 06:44 -0700, mehta kiran wrote:
> Hi,
> I see number of files in nfsd filesystem which
> are readable and writable by user processes
> like rpc.mountd(for upcalls).
> Looks like same thing can be done in kernel.
> Is this only to move some
> complex code from kernel to userland ?

Why on earth would we want to put crap like reverse DNS, NIS, LDAP,
kerberos, ... in the kernel?

Cheers,
Trond

by mehta kiran

Ok got it.=20
I thought we can do away with relying on
reading files from /var/lib/nfs(for mountd upcall)
as kernel is aware of exports and their properties.
But these would introduce complexity in kernel code as
you said. Thanks

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 06:44 -0700, mehta kiran wrote:
> Hi,
> I see number of files in nfsd filesystem which
> are readable and writable by user processes
> like rpc.mountd(for upcalls).
> Looks like same thing can be done in kernel.
> Is this only to move some
> complex code from kernel to userland ?

Why on earth would we want to put crap like reverse
DNS, NIS, LDAP,
kerberos, ... in the kernel?

Cheers,
Trond

"Trond Myklebust" <> Add to Address Book Add Mobile
Alert =20
To: "mehta kiran" <[email protected]>=20
CC:=20