2006-05-05 18:25:49

by Bryce Harrington

Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code and NFSv4

Just as a reminder, student applications are due May 8th (Monday). I've
updated the descriptions of the NFSv4 projects here:

http://developer.osdl.org/dev/soc/

We've had several good proposals submitted, although none yet for the
NFSv4 ones, so if you know a student that would be interested in
getting paid to learn NFSv4 this summer, and develop some tests, please
encourage them to sign up with Google and post an application!

Bryce

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:48:38PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Google runs a "Summer of Code" project to employ college students to
> work on open source projects for the summer. OSDL has signed up as a
> mentoring organization this year for a few different things, including
> Linux NFSv4.
>
> If you are a student and interested in working on NFSv4 for the summer,
> you can find more information at http://developer.osdl.org/dev/soc/ and
> http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html . Proposals can be sent in
> between May 1st and May 8th.
>
> I've volunteered to be a mentor for any testing projects around NFSv4;
> there's a couple ideas I listed on the above link, but if you have
> a better idea for a testing project, please feel free to propose that.
> In either case, please feel free to contact me off-list to work out
> details.
>
> Bryce
>
> P.S., if anyone else would also like to be a mentor through OSDL, we
> might be able to arrange this; contact me offlist.

2006-06-16 18:21:16

by Bryce Harrington

Hi all,

The announcement went out earlier this week that OSDL is mentoring
several students in the Google Summer of Code program:

http://www.osdl.org/newsroom/press_releases/2006/2006_06_13_beverton.html

Dipankar Sarkar from the Indian Institute of Technology, will be working
with us on NFSv4 testing. His project is to create a robustness test
for NFSv4 using NetEm to emulate various network issues (dropped or
delayed packets, partitions, etc.) with various NFSv4 features
(kerberos, acl, delegation, etc.) turned off/on. This test will be
integrated into Crucible so we will be able to run it as part of the
regular regression tests.

Dipankar's also been keeping a blog so we can follow his progress:
http://nfs4osdl.wordpress.com/