2006-11-20 21:54:30

by Steinar H. Gunderson

Subject: nhfsstone license

[Please Cc me and the bug on replies; I'm not subscribed to the list]

Hi,

It has recently come to my attention that the DISCLAIMER file of nhfsstone
(distributed with nfs-utils) is distributed a non-free license. Specifically,
the wording says "Legato nhfsstone may be modified only for the purpose of
porting", and while we believe that they meant "you can only call this Legato
nhfsstone if you don't modify it except for porting reasons" (given the rest
of the text) this is unfortunately not what the words say.

debian/copyright (which used to be in upstream CVS) claims that the entire
package is under GPL; however, I cannot find anything about a relicensing
anywhere. I've tried contacting Legato (at [email protected]), but given
that this software seems to have been made in 1989, it's perhaps not that odd
that I haven't received any reply from them.

Does anybody know what the current license status of nhfsstone is? If we
cannot get this resolved, we'd have to remove nhfsstone from Debian main,
which would be rather painful (if nothing else because we'd have to modify
the upstream tarball), so I'd really hope we could find some sort of
solution.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: nhfsstone license

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:53:05PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> If we cannot get this resolved, we'd have to remove nhfsstone from
> Debian main, which would be rather painful (if nothing else because
> we'd have to modify the upstream tarball)

No modification required if we remove it from upstream too. Do people
use it?

--b.

by Peter Staubach

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:53:05PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
>
>> If we cannot get this resolved, we'd have to remove nhfsstone from
>> Debian main, which would be rather painful (if nothing else because
>> we'd have to modify the upstream tarball)
>>

> No modification required if we remove it from upstream too. Do people
> use it?

Considering that nhfsstone was the precursor to the precursor for SPECsfs,
what would people use it for? Perhaps it should be part of a testsuite
collection, but it doesn't seem particularly useful in a normal context.

Thanx...

ps

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:20:34PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>> If we cannot get this resolved, we'd have to remove nhfsstone from
>> Debian main, which would be rather painful (if nothing else because
>> we'd have to modify the upstream tarball)
> No modification required if we remove it from upstream too. Do people
> use it?

I've never used it, at least. :-) Debian's "popularity contest"
(popcon.debian.org; it's skewed, but it's still better than nothing) claims
nhfsstone has 74 installations compared to nfs-common's 13910 or
nfs-kernel-server's 4761, so I think it's safe to say it's significantly less
popular than any of the other parts of the package.

Is nhfsstone even reasonably up-to-date with regard to current NFS versions?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by Marty Leisner

I have a copy on my system from 2000...

The terms look like "If you make changes, don't call it nhfsstone".

I guess you'll be ok if you call it nhfsstone-gpl.

marty

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:20:34PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> No modification required if we remove it from upstream too. Do people
> use it?

It seems like nobody does, judging from the response. Is there any chance of
a relatively quick 1.0.11 without nhfsstone? We have frozen in Debian at the
moment, but fixing such a license bug would probably be allowed past the
freeze.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by NeilBrown

On Thursday December 14, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:20:34PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > No modification required if we remove it from upstream too. Do people
> > use it?
>
> It seems like nobody does, judging from the response. Is there any chance of
> a relatively quick 1.0.11 without nhfsstone? We have frozen in Debian at the
> moment, but fixing such a license bug would probably be allowed past the
> freeze.

I've removed nhfstone from the git repository, but I'm not going to
roll up an 1.0.11 release just now - sorry.
Maybe in January.

NeilBrown

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:49:36AM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
>> It seems like nobody does, judging from the response. Is there any chance of
>> a relatively quick 1.0.11 without nhfsstone? We have frozen in Debian at the
>> moment, but fixing such a license bug would probably be allowed past the
>> freeze.
> I've removed nhfstone from the git repository, but I'm not going to
> roll up an 1.0.11 release just now - sorry.
> Maybe in January.

No hard feelings, we're just going to fix it for the next release instead, I
guess. :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/