2007-01-04 13:10:12

by Steinar H. Gunderson

Subject: Manpage inconsistency

Hi,

It seems like the man page for rpc.statd claims that it lives in /sbin.
However, make install puts it in /usr/sbin. Which should be corrected? :-)

(It should be mentioned that in Debian, we move both rpc.statd, rpc.lockd and
showmount into /sbin, since we might need them at boot time and patch the
manpages appropriately, but at least upstream should be consistent with
itself.)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: Manpage inconsistency

On Thursday January 4, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems like the man page for rpc.statd claims that it lives in /sbin.
> However, make install puts it in /usr/sbin. Which should be corrected? :-)
>
> (It should be mentioned that in Debian, we move both rpc.statd, rpc.lockd and
> showmount into /sbin, since we might need them at boot time and patch the
> manpages appropriately, but at least upstream should be consistent with
> itself.)

I've remove the path from the man page so it doesn't say "/sbin" or
"/usr/sbin".

But I'm surprised you want it in /sbin. I would mount '/usr' with '-o nolocks'
After all, you cannot run statd until /var is mounted.....

But whatever...

NeilBrown