2007-01-04 13:22:17

by Steinar H. Gunderson

Subject: Please add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to configure.in

Hi,

Could you please add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to configure.in? I'd like to set
--enable-maintainer-mode in the Debian packages (to prevent configure and
friends from being regenerated from possibly broken or incompatible autofoo),
but the macro needs to be in place in configure.in (which should probably be
renamed to configure.ac by now?) for the switch to exist.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: Please add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to configure.in

On Thursday January 4, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to configure.in? I'd like to set
> --enable-maintainer-mode in the Debian packages (to prevent configure and
> friends from being regenerated from possibly broken or incompatible autofoo),
> but the macro needs to be in place in configure.in (which should probably be
> renamed to configure.ac by now?) for the switch to exist.

From my limited reading, --enable-maintainer-mode effective negates
the effect of putting AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in configure.in. So I'm
confused.

And there is a suggestion of that AM_MAINTAINER_MODE is a bad thing:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/maintainer-mode.html

So I need more information before I know how to proceed.

NeilBrown

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 09:37:19AM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> From my limited reading, --enable-maintainer-mode effective negates
> the effect of putting AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in configure.in. So I'm
> confused.

AM_MAINTAINER_MODE simply puts the option in there. The default doesn't
change AFAICS.

> And there is a suggestion of that AM_MAINTAINER_MODE is a bad thing:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/maintainer-mode.html
>
> So I need more information before I know how to proceed.

It is primarily useful for packagers. I need to know that my package builds
the same regardless of what's on the system (except for dependencies, of
course) -- by default the builds break if the user has autoconf installed but
none of the other dependencies. (As most of our builds are done fully
automated, there's simply no such control, unless I go to great lengths to
annoy users.) --enable-maintainer-mode simply removes all the magic from the
build and gives the builder control -- which is useful for a distribution
packager, but perhaps less so for a developer.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by Kevin Coffman

On 2/4/07, Neil Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thursday January 4, [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you please add AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to configure.in? I'd like to set
> > --enable-maintainer-mode in the Debian packages (to prevent configure and
> > friends from being regenerated from possibly broken or incompatible autofoo),
> > but the macro needs to be in place in configure.in (which should probably be
> > renamed to configure.ac by now?) for the switch to exist.
>
> From my limited reading, --enable-maintainer-mode effective negates
> the effect of putting AM_MAINTAINER_MODE in configure.in. So I'm
> confused.
>
> And there is a suggestion of that AM_MAINTAINER_MODE is a bad thing:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/maintainer-mode.html
>
> So I need more information before I know how to proceed.

I've been working for a few weeks with this included. As a developer
actively making changes to Makefile.am, etc., I just configure with
--enable-maintainer-mode.

I've run into the timestamp problem in the past on machines with older
versions of autoconf where the makefile thinks that autoconf needs to
be re-run. That can be a pain.

K.C.