2007-01-04 13:44:30

by Steinar H. Gunderson

Subject: Please remove getkversion

getkversion fails when building against newer kernel headers, since
UTS_RELEASE is no longer exported to userspace (nor is there any adequate
replacement that I know of). This has already hit Ubuntu (making nfs-utils
not build anymore), so they've simply stopped building it -- we're doing so
in Debian as well, as we'll probably hit the same problems, and getkversion
isn't really in use anyhow.

Could we simply remove the tool from upstream git? Is there any known use
for it?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by Olaf Kirch

Subject: Re: Please remove getkversion

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 02:45:05PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> getkversion fails when building against newer kernel headers, since
> UTS_RELEASE is no longer exported to userspace (nor is there any adequate
> replacement that I know of). This has already hit Ubuntu (making nfs-utils
> not build anymore), so they've simply stopped building it -- we're doing so
> in Debian as well, as we'll probably hit the same problems, and getkversion
> isn't really in use anyhow.

Given that it was a hack to start with, I'm suprised it has
been building for that long :)

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
[email protected] | / | \ sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax

by NeilBrown

On Thursday January 4, [email protected] wrote:
> getkversion fails when building against newer kernel headers, since
> UTS_RELEASE is no longer exported to userspace (nor is there any adequate
> replacement that I know of). This has already hit Ubuntu (making nfs-utils
> not build anymore), so they've simply stopped building it -- we're doing so
> in Debian as well, as we'll probably hit the same problems, and getkversion
> isn't really in use anyhow.
>
> Could we simply remove the tool from upstream git? Is there any known use
> for it?

Sounds fair. It is removed.

NeilBrown