2007-02-28 10:48:26

by Steinar H. Gunderson

Subject: nfs-utils 1.0.11 still seems broken

Hi,

It looks like nfs-utils 1.0.11 is still broken, only now in completely
different ways. My NFS server (kernel 2.6.19.2) upgraded yesterday, and
tonight my desktop machine with NFS root (2.6.19) seems to have hung. The
screen said

Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 10.0.0.10
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 10.0.0.10

And then nothing more until it gave up. (It seemed to send stuff on port 2049
to the NFS server, though.)

This was consistent across boots. Downgrading to 1.0.10 fixed the problems
immediately; the second I go back to 1.0.11 and restart the server the client
goes "nfs: server 10.0.0.10 not responding, still trying". Downgrading again
fixes it.

With 1.0.11, dmesg seems to show:

nfsd: last server has exited
nfsd: unexporting all filesystems
RPC: failed to contact portmap (errno -5).
NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state recovery directory
NFSD: starting 90-second grace period

so this looks to be portmap related somehow. It should be noted that I also
see the issue with

Feb 28 11:46:17 moccamaster nfsd[6273]: nfssvc: writting fds to kernel failed: errno 0 (Success)

but that also shows up with 1.0.10, so it probably isn't that.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: nfs-utils 1.0.11 still seems broken

On Wednesday February 28, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like nfs-utils 1.0.11 is still broken, only now in completely

Can you try 1.0.12?? 1.0.11 had some silly stuff in it, but I'm not
sure it would cause the problem you are seeing..

An 'strace -s1000' of mountd while the client is trying to mount
might help.

> Feb 28 11:46:17 moccamaster nfsd[6273]: nfssvc: writting fds to kernel failed: errno 0 (Success)

This message didn't come from 1.0.11 !! The speling error was fixxed.

But you still get this message - a newer kernel gets rid of the
message.

NeilBrown

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:54:01AM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> Can you try 1.0.12?? 1.0.11 had some silly stuff in it, but I'm not
> sure it would cause the problem you are seeing..

1.0.12 seems to solve the issue for me -- I rebooted the nfsroot machine, and
it comes up perfectly. That's odd, given the diff...

Oh well, on to push it into Debian.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/