2007-03-19 01:14:20

by NeilBrown

Subject: rpc.statd in /sbin or /usr/sbin ??

Hi,
I have noticed that some distros like to install statd in /sbin
rather than /usr/sbin.
I would like to know why.

If it is generally agreed that it needs to be in /sbin, then I'll
change nfs-utils to install it there, but as yet I am unconvinced.

The only reason I can see for putting statd in /sbin is if it were
needed for mounting /usr (in cases where /usr is accessed via NFS).

However in that case (as in the case for an NFS root), I think it is
appropriate to use the "nolock" flag on the basis that /usr is not
expected to be share-writeable (i.e. either readonly or
single-client). In that case there is no need for locking requests
to go over the network, and no need for statd to be running before
/usr is mounted.

So: can anyone try to convince me that rpc.statd should go in /sbin??

Thanks,
NeilBrown

by Steve Dickson

Subject: Re: rpc.statd in /sbin or /usr/sbin ??

Olaf Kirch wrote:
> On Monday 19 March 2007 02:14, Neil Brown wrote:
>> The only reason I can see for putting statd in /sbin is if it were
>> needed for mounting /usr (in cases where /usr is accessed via NFS).
>
> Can't speak for others, but this is the reason why Suse put it into /sbin too,
> as long as they shipped it.
I can only assuming this was the case as well... Red Hat has
been putting both rpc.lockd and rpc.statd in /sbin
since at least RH 7.1

steved.

by Olaf Kirch

On Monday 19 March 2007 02:14, Neil Brown wrote:
> The only reason I can see for putting statd in /sbin is if it were
> needed for mounting /usr (in cases where /usr is accessed via NFS).

Can't speak for others, but this is the reason why Suse put it into /sbin too,
as long as they shipped it.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
[email protected] | / | \ sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax