2007-03-30 06:38:52

by Klaus Steinberger

Subject: Re: fsid question

> Well, I still don't see anywhere there is a documented definition that
> says "(NFS) fsid _is_ based on major/minor number". The man page
> describes it as "the filesystem identification portion of the file

I could not tell you out of memory where it is defined, too bad it's not in
the man page: Should be enhanced!

Definitly the default for fsid is based on major/minor number, as long as you
don't have a fsid option in you're exports file.

> On the other hand, arguments like these are kind of silly. The important
> thing is to advocate and make sure people know how to use "fsid" in a
> clustered environment.

Not only in clustered environment. It is necessary to use fsid in an LVM
environment. I learned this also the hard way, I always wondered about stale
handles on clients after server reboots and reexports, until I learned that
lvm minor numbers can change, and until I discovered fsid.

But be careful! There is nothing that prevents you from using same fsid for
different exports.

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger Beschleunigerlaboratorium
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287 Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.26 kB)
smime.p7s (1.96 kB)
(No filename) (345.00 B)