2007-06-02 00:28:03

by Joshua Hoblitt

Subject: NFS client request failure statistics?

Hello,

I was wondering if there is some existing means (systemtap, etc.) of
getting a count of NFS client requests that have "failed" after
exceeding the maximum number of retransmissions? If there is no means
of getting at this information, I feel that it would be worth adding.
It should be a useful stat to have in addition to the retrans count when
tuning the timeo/retrans values.

I've spent a small amount of time poking around in the sources to see
how difficult it would be export this information to userspace. It
appears that this would be non-trivial to do as it seems that the NFS
client code itself doesn't keep a count of failed requests and the
procfs interface (/proc/net/rpc/nfs) is auto-generated by the sunrpc
layer. Is my analysis correct?

Cheers,

-J

(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (140.00 B)

by Steve Dickson

Subject: Re: NFS client request failure statistics?

Joshua Hoblitt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is some existing means (systemtap, etc.) of
> getting a count of NFS client requests that have "failed" after
> exceeding the maximum number of retransmissions?
You can look in systemtap-0.5.13-1.fc6.rpm but I don't think there
are any script that do that...

> If there is no means of getting at this information, I feel that it would be worth adding.
scripts are always welcomed! ;-)

> It should be a useful stat to have in addition to the retrans count when
> tuning the timeo/retrans values.
Also take a look at the NFS/RPC metrics in /proc/self/mounts. They
might have something similar to what your looking for..

> I've spent a small amount of time poking around in the sources to see
> how difficult it would be export this information to userspace. It
> appears that this would be non-trivial to do as it seems that the NFS
> client code itself doesn't keep a count of failed requests and the
> procfs interface (/proc/net/rpc/nfs) is auto-generated by the sunrpc
> layer. Is my analysis correct?
Again, I would suggest you look at the /proc/self/mounts interface.

steved.