2007-09-05 15:27:35

by Andy Kennedy

Subject: Re: Battered in Brimingham. . .

Andy Kennedy wrote:
> Okay, I've done this before -- hundreds of times. . . all with Slackware
> -- the latest one was 10.2 (I think). Before, I've never had to do any
> configuration but just add the clients to the exports file, make sure
> that NFS was built into the Linux kernel (with the TCP support for it)
> -- then continue on my happy way with setting up my fstab in the client
> to mount the shares at boot. . .
>
> HOWEVER,
> Now I'm working with an ARM system. It took great pains to build all
> the utils (on an external USB drive with a native compiler) needed so
> that nfs-tools would build. I believe that I have the tools configured
> built correctly because I can, in my /etc/exports file, put the line:
> /www/flashcard 127.0.0.1(rw,no_root_squash,sync,insecure)
> then execute the command:
> mount 127.0.0.1:/www/flashcard /mnt
> and get a nice shiny new mount via NFS on my /mnt.
>
> Okay, this I tried after hours upon hours of attempting to get one of
> two systems to mount /www/flashcard (1) a SBC with only PPP over async
> and a null modem cable and (2) my host via a network connection. The
> results are the same -- the client reports that it "Cannot read super
> block" after a long delay and the only thing in the server log file is
> "authenticated mount request from ...".
>
> My first though: I've screwed something up on the ARM. . . okay switch
> gears and plug in my computer as the server, and another computer on the
> network as the client. Same results.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> TIA,
> Andy

Found it. For anyone who may be searching for my solution there were
two separate issues here:

1) Desktop -> Desktop via ethernet:
This issue was due to the fact that we currently don't have a DNS server
providing local names. After adding the host name to the /etc/hosts
file, we were able to connect.

2) Desktop -> SBC via serial cable:
Unfortunately, the default install for the network configuration was
all: PARANOID in /etc/host.deny. I did do a vi /etc/host* but must have
quit out before I got to the deny file. . .

Bummer man. . . there's three days of my life I cannot get back.

Andy

by Steinar H. Gunderson

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 10:28:51AM -0500, Andy Kennedy wrote:
> Found it. For anyone who may be searching for my solution there were
> two separate issues here:

Just FWIW: You might want to pick a different subject line the next time.
When I see a subject as nonsensical as "Battered in Brimingham . . ." on an
NFS list, I automatically assume it's spam and then move on. I wouldn't be
surprised if most others do the same. (The only thing that made me see the
e-mail now was your own reply.)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/