2007-10-11 13:50:33

by Erik Hensema

Subject: Locking broke after client reset

Situation:

openSUSE 10.2 NFS server, 2.6.18 kernel as supplied by novell.
openSUSE 10.1 client, 2.6.16 kernel as supplied by novell.

After a crash of the client and a reboot, locking over nfs broke.
Processes just wait indefinitely on a lock they'll never get.
Rebooting the client doesn't help.

Restarting the nfs server by removing all kernel modules and reloading
doesn't help either. I'd like to avoid rebooting the machine if
possible.

How can I reset the locks? It's no problem to unmount the share on all
clients if necessary.

I'm using nfsv4. Possibly the NLM lock recovery fails because the name
returned by 'uname -n' does not fully match the reverse dns of the
machine. I'm not sure how to make uname -n return the internal dns
name but still have daemons such as sendmail use the external name
(the machine's got two interfaces, one on the internet, one internal
to the nfs server).
Currently uname -n returns the short hostname of the machine, not a
fully qualified one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Erik Hensema