2002-07-20 00:18:45

by Tom McNeal

Subject: Linux release of nfs-utils version 1.0.1

Hi -

The latest release of the nfs utils package has just been posted
on https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfs/

The last version of the package was posted last September, so there
are quite a few fixes in it. The one which you may notice right
away is that synchronous IO is now a default export characteristic,
falling in line with all other vendors of NFS. In order to ease
the transition, a warning will be posted if you do not specify either
"sync" or "async" in the export list. This removes a possible
source of undetected data corruption, as detailed in the NFS howtos.

Speaking of the howtos, the latest versions of them have been sent
to the LDP, so they should be posted sometime next week.

Finally, if you are interested, I have published the client based
test package I used for testing the utils, which contains a GUI
interface, and includes Connectathon, FSX, Bonnie++, and IOzone,
among other things. The package was originally developed by
Bruce Blinn and Adrian Drzewiecki at the Mission Critical Linux
West Coast Office. I received permission from the owners of the
assets of MCLX to post the package, after removing all parts
related to the MCLX cluster software. You can find it at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfstestmatrix

One final note - I was not the only tester; Engineers at Red Hat
and IBM, among others, were involved in the testing, so my Intel
based UP machines were not the only ones exercising it.

Regards -

Tom McNeal

by James Pearson

Subject: Re: Linux release of nfs-utils version 1.0.1

I notice that the NFS HOW-TO at LDP has now been updated - any chance
the version at http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto be updated as well?

James Pearson

Tom McNeal wrote:

> Hi -
>
> The latest release of the nfs utils package has just been posted
> on https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfs/
>
> The last version of the package was posted last September, so there
> are quite a few fixes in it. The one which you may notice right
> away is that synchronous IO is now a default export characteristic,
> falling in line with all other vendors of NFS. In order to ease
> the transition, a warning will be posted if you do not specify either
> "sync" or "async" in the export list. This removes a possible
> source of undetected data corruption, as detailed in the NFS howtos.
>
> Speaking of the howtos, the latest versions of them have been sent
> to the LDP, so they should be posted sometime next week.
>
> Finally, if you are interested, I have published the client based
> test package I used for testing the utils, which contains a GUI
> interface, and includes Connectathon, FSX, Bonnie++, and IOzone,
> among other things. The package was originally developed by
> Bruce Blinn and Adrian Drzewiecki at the Mission Critical Linux
> West Coast Office. I received permission from the owners of the
> assets of MCLX to post the package, after removing all parts
> related to the MCLX cluster software. You can find it at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/nfstestmatrix
>
> One final note - I was not the only tester; Engineers at Red Hat
> and IBM, among others, were involved in the testing, so my Intel
> based UP machines were not the only ones exercising it.
>
> Regards -
>
> Tom McNeal

by Tom McNeal

James Pearson wrote:

> I notice that the NFS HOW-TO at LDP has now been updated - any chance
> the version at http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto be updated as well?
>
> James Pearson

The SourceForge site has been updated as of about 10 minutes ago.
I kept the old htmls in a local directory called "bak", so you can
reach those as well just by adding that directory name to the url.

Regards -

Tom