2005-04-28 18:27:20

by roland

Subject: export loopback mounted .iso`s failed

Hello !
I have a cdrom-server based on SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4) wich exports all it
cd-roms via nfs, too.
All CD-Roms (>50 so far) are loopback mounted on the server and exported to
the public as a single nfs-share "server:/cdroms"

this works perfectly so far - but now i realize that this doesn`t seem to
work under suse 9.3 (kernel 2.6.11) anymore, because of (kernel based)
nfsV4. I just don`t see the contents of the loopback mounted iso`s - just
empty shares.

how can i make this work with suse 9.3 and kernel based nfs ? I don`t want
to "switch back".

regards
Roland

ps:
please reply via cc to my mailadress - i`m not on this list.

--
+++ GMX - die erste Adresse f?r Mail, Message, More +++

10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: export loopback mounted .iso`s failed

to den 28.04.2005 Klokka 20:27 (+0200) skreiv [email protected]:
> Hello !
> I have a cdrom-server based on SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4) wich exports all it
> cd-roms via nfs, too.

Are these stored as ISO-files or are they really cdroms in some jukebox
type device?

> All CD-Roms (>50 so far) are loopback mounted on the server and exported to
> the public as a single nfs-share "server:/cdroms"
>
> this works perfectly so far - but now i realize that this doesn`t seem to
> work under suse 9.3 (kernel 2.6.11) anymore, because of (kernel based)
> nfsV4. I just don`t see the contents of the loopback mounted iso`s - just
> empty shares.

Why do you think NFSv4 would matter?

Anyhow, exports of loopback mounted iso-files works fine for me both
with and without NFSv4 support:

lade:~# uname -a
Linux lade.trondhjem.org 2.6.12-rc3-up #1 Mon Apr 25 08:59:39 EDT 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
lade:~# mount -ro,loop=/dev/loop/0 /home/linux/Ubuntu/ubuntu-5.04-live-i386.iso /mnt
lade:~# exportfs -rv
exportfs: /etc/exports [6]: No 'sync' or 'async' option specified for export "localhost:/mnt".
Assuming default behaviour ('sync').
NOTE: this default has changed from previous versions
exporting lade.trondhjem.org:/mnt
reexporting lade.trondhjem.org:/mnt to kernel
lade:~# mount -t nfs -oro localhost:/mnt /tmp/gnurr
lade:~# ls /tmp/gnurr/
README.diskdefines disctree isolinux preseed start.ini
autorun.inf dists md5sum.txt programs tools
bin doc pics start.bmp ubuntu
casper install pool start.exe

Cheers,
Trond