2002-07-20 02:14:54

by Christopher Penney

Subject: Solaris 8 Server / RedHat 7.2 Clients

Is there a preferred setup when using a Solaris 8 NFS server with only
RedHAt 7.2 clients? The server is exporting a 1TB file system to several
Compaq Alpha's running RedHat 7.2 (2.4.9-32smp) that are sitting behind a
NAT router.

Right now, I'm automounting the file system's user dirs with the following

rw,intr,hard,bg,wsize=8192,rsize=8192,nfsvers=3,udp

Should I be using a 32k w/rzise with a Solaris 8 server? Anything else
I'm missing? Anything I shoudl take into consideration with a NAT router
in between? Everything seems to be working well, but I'm looking for any
improvements I can make.

Oh, it's all gigabit ethernet except for each clients connection to the
switch, which is 100mbit.

Chris

by Pedro M. Rodrigues

Subject: Re: Solaris 8 Server / RedHat 7.2 Clients

Using tcp instead of udp would fit better in your environment,
because of your router in between. And the fact that you are mixing
gigabit server and 100mb clients doesn't help. If it works ok good,
but under load you may see packet loss and consequent resending.
Translation: bad performance. But you would need to patch those RH
7.2 clients to get acceptable nfs over tcp.

/Pedro