2002-09-04 09:26:42

by Marco.Schwarz

Subject: AW: NFS & Clustering

Small appendix:

What we are looking for is basically a high-availability solution for =
our
NFS server(s). With the numbers of our diskless clients growing, we =
simply
cannot afford downtimes (this is an industrial production environment). =

My options are to either find a high-availabilty solution for the NFS =
server
or to make the clients work when the server is down. I think I'll try =
the
clustering/HA first ;-)

Regards,
Marco

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: [email protected] [SMTP:[email protected]]
> Gesendet am: Mittwoch, 4. September 2002 10:35
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: [NFS] NFS & Clustering
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root
> server
> for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is possible with =
NFS
> and
> which cluster software is best for this task (OpenMOSIX ?).
>=20
> Thanks in advance,
> Marco
>=20
>=20

by Thomas Langås

Subject: Re: AW: NFS & Clustering

[email protected]:
> What we are looking for is basically a high-availability solution for our
> NFS server(s). With the numbers of our diskless clients growing, we simply
> cannot afford downtimes (this is an industrial production environment).

http://www.linux-ha.org/

Have a look at that link, and maybe ask around a bit on the linux-ha-
mailnglist and I think you'll achieve your goal :)

--
Thomas

by me

Hallo Marco,

have you tried nfs with heartbeat and drbd?
At this time we are evaluating this scenario because we will use it in =
our
production environment. At this time there is a limitation, drdb works =
only
with two servers.

Bye
Markus

=

Marco. =

Schwarz@Freudenb =

erg.de =
Sent by: nfs- [email protected] =

admin@lists. =
cc
sourceforge.net [email protected] =

Subj=
ect
AW: [NFS] NFS & Clustering =

04.09.2002 11:26 =

=

=

=

=

=

=

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> Hallo Marco,
>
> have you tried nfs with heartbeat and drbd?
> At this time we are evaluating this scenario because we will use it in our
> production environment. At this time there is a limitation, drdb works only
> with two servers.

And.. drdb works only with kernel 2.2 \8(
THat's according to the sourceforge project mailing list..

by Paul Jakma

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Ian C. Sison wrote:

> And.. drdb works only with kernel 2.2 \8(
> THat's according to the sourceforge project mailing list..

what about using GFS / OpenGFS to store /var/lib/nfs?

any tried this, and does it work?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma [email protected] [email protected] Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to [email protected]

by Pedro M. Rodrigues

Mission Critical Linux had a product called Convolo Cluster. I
believe they still sell it. And there was a thread in this mailing
list started by someone at SteelEye, i found out from it that they
have this product called LifeKeeper for Linux that is supposed to do
wht you are looking for, among other things.

Pedro

On 4 Sep 2002 at 11:26, [email protected] wrote:

> Small appendix:
>
> What we are looking for is basically a high-availability solution for
> our NFS server(s). With the numbers of our diskless clients growing,
> we simply cannot afford downtimes (this is an industrial production
> environment).
>
> My options are to either find a high-availabilty solution for the NFS
> server or to make the clients work when the server is down. I think
> I'll try the clustering/HA first ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> > -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von: [email protected]
> > [SMTP:[email protected]] Gesendet am: Mittwoch, 4.
> > September 2002 10:35 An: [email protected] Betreff: [NFS]
> > NFS & Clustering
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root
> > server for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is
> > possible with NFS and which cluster software is best for this task
> > (OpenMOSIX ?).
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Marco

by Oliver Korff

Hi,

I have an active/passiv system running with sgi failsafe, which is maintained
(scripts only) by SuSE. I use it under Redhat and debian.

If you want to use it in production environment I recommend that you do
excessive tests or buy some consulting! Appropriate hardware is essential and
expensive. (Just in case somebody thought you could do it with no/low cost)

Oliver

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 11:26, [email protected] wrote:
> Small appendix:
>
> What we are looking for is basically a high-availability solution for our
> NFS server(s). With the numbers of our diskless clients growing, we simply
> cannot afford downtimes (this is an industrial production environment).
>
> My options are to either find a high-availabilty solution for the NFS
> server or to make the clients work when the server is down. I think I'll
> try the clustering/HA first ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>
> > -----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von: [email protected] [SMTP:[email protected]]
> > Gesendet am: Mittwoch, 4. September 2002 10:35
> > An: [email protected]
> > Betreff: [NFS] NFS & Clustering
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we are looking into the possibility of building a clustered NFS-root
> > server
> > for our diskless clients. Does anybody know if this is possible with NFS
> > and
> > which cluster software is best for this task (OpenMOSIX ?).
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Marco

Oliver Korff, credativ GmbH
Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13