2002-12-12 01:47:06

by Jeff L. Smith

Subject: Vaguely NFS related problem

We have been running a couple of machines (PIII with Mylex Extreme 2000
SCSI RAID, RH7.3, 2.4.18 kernel, 64 nfsd's) which only act as NFS
fileservers. When either of these servers start getting busy, I start
seeing a lot of the following messages:

Dec 8 15:27:58 localhost kernel: RPC: Unable to allocate resbuf from cache!

I does not seem to cause any problems (things keep running with no
obvious corruption) but this surly cannot be good. Is there something I
need to tune or a FAQ I could review?

Jeff

--
Jeff Smith Atheros Communications, Inc.
Hardware Manager 529 Almanor Avenue

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: Vaguely NFS related problem

On Wednesday December 11, [email protected] wrote:
> We have been running a couple of machines (PIII with Mylex Extreme 2000
> SCSI RAID, RH7.3, 2.4.18 kernel, 64 nfsd's) which only act as NFS
> fileservers. When either of these servers start getting busy, I start
> seeing a lot of the following messages:
>
> Dec 8 15:27:58 localhost kernel: RPC: Unable to allocate resbuf from cache!

This message is not part of any 'vanilla' release kernel. It must be
a redhat-special. Ask redhat.

NeilBrown

by Jeff L. Smith

I'm running a kernel I built from kernel.org source. I found the
message in linux-2.4.18/net/sunrpc/svcsock.c.

printk (KERN_WARNING "RPC: Unable to allocate resbuf from cache!\n");

Jeff

Neil Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday December 11, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>We have been running a couple of machines (PIII with Mylex Extreme 2000
>>SCSI RAID, RH7.3, 2.4.18 kernel, 64 nfsd's) which only act as NFS
>>fileservers. When either of these servers start getting busy, I start
>>seeing a lot of the following messages:
>>
>>Dec 8 15:27:58 localhost kernel: RPC: Unable to allocate resbuf from cache!
>

> This message is not part of any 'vanilla' release kernel. It must be
> a redhat-special. Ask redhat.
>
> NeilBrown

Jeff Smith Atheros Communications, Inc.
Hardware Manager 529 Almanor Avenue
(408) 773-5257 Sunnyvale, CA 94086

by Jeff L. Smith

I should also add that I realize this an RPC problem, not and NFS
problem (hence vaguely NFS related), but this is being tickled by the
NFS server so I was hoping someone else had seen this.

Jeff

On Wednesday December 11, [email protected] wrote:
> We have been running a couple of machines (PIII with Mylex Extreme 2000
> SCSI RAID, RH7.3, 2.4.18 kernel, 64 nfsd's) which only act as NFS
> fileservers. When either of these servers start getting busy, I start
> seeing a lot of the following messages:
>
> Dec 8 15:27:58 localhost kernel: RPC: Unable to allocate resbuf from
cache!

This message is not part of any 'vanilla' release kernel. It must be
a redhat-special. Ask redhat.

NeilBrown

Jeff Smith Atheros Communications, Inc.
Hardware Manager 529 Almanor Avenue
(408) 773-5257 Sunnyvale, CA 94086

by NeilBrown

On Wednesday December 11, [email protected] wrote:
> I'm running a kernel I built from kernel.org source. I found the
> message in linux-2.4.18/net/sunrpc/svcsock.c.
>

> printk (KERN_WARNING "RPC: Unable to allocate resbuf from cache!\n");

I think you should check again. I did and I still cannot find that
message:

% bzcat linux-2.4.18.tar.bz2 | grep 'Unable to allocate resbuf from cache'
%

Are you sure they were *unpatched* kernel.org sources?

I suggest you unroll 2.4.20 and try that.

NeilBrown

by Jeff L. Smith

You are correct. The only patch I applied was Trond's
linux-2.4.18-NFS_ALL.dif and that is where the check is. The actual
patch was linux-2.4.18-svc_tcp.dif. I'm not doing NFS-over-TPC, but
this seems to be biting me anyway.

I plan to upgrade to 2.4.20 as soon as I can take the fileservers down
long enough, but that will be a few weeks. But then that begs the
question, should I apply Trond's 2.4.20 patches?

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Smith Atheros Communications, Inc.
Hardware Manager 529 Almanor Avenue
(408) 773-5257 Sunnyvale, CA 94086

by Trond Myklebust

> I plan to upgrade to 2.4.20 as soon as I can take the
> fileservers down long enough, but that will be a few weeks.
> But then that begs the question, should I apply Trond's 2.4.20
> patches?

FYI: There are no further NFS server-related patches in my 2.4.20
patchsets.

The only server patches I included earlier were beta-versions of the
NFS over TCP related stuff ('cos they conflicted with some of the
client changes). Now that the finalized TCP code has been merged into
the mainstream kernel by Neil, I've dropped them.

Cheers,
Trond