2003-06-04 16:07:25

by Tom Georgoulias

Subject: max memory size on input queue?

Is there any agreement on what is the safest, largest input queue memory
size? /etc/syconfig/nfs has an option to turn this value to 256k, so it
that generally the best setting to use? What about 512k?

Tom

by Matt Schillinger

Subject: Re: max memory size on input queue?

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 11:07, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> Is there any agreement on what is the safest, largest input queue memory
> size? /etc/syconfig/nfs has an option to turn this value to 256k, so it
> that generally the best setting to use? What about 512k?
>
> Tom

I am not an expert on input queues, but from my experience, the 256K
recommendation is based on 8 threads.. the goal is to give 32K to each
thread, so if you have 16 threads, you would want 512K. I do not know if
there is a good way to find out if more on top of 32K would be good..
32K/thread (my servers run 64threads) works well for me so far with 1
Gigabit and two 100Mbit interfaces on each server.

Matt Schillinger

by Trond Myklebust

> Is there any agreement on what is the safest, largest input
> queue memory size? /etc/syconfig/nfs has an option to turn
> this value to 256k, so it that generally the best setting to
> use? What about 512k?

See the discussion in the NFS-HOWTO.

Cheers,
Trond