2003-07-19 19:59:02

by Tupshin Harper

Subject: Help needed with NFS locking

I'm absolutely stuck on this one. I'm running linux-2.4.21-ac4 on both
client and server (problem is not unique to this version of the kernel),
with debian-sid distribution on both systems. I'm trying to run /home as
an NFS-mounted volume on the client, but no matter what I try, I can't
get nfs-locking to work.

rpcinfo -p on the server looks like this:
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 665 status
100024 1 tcp 668 status
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 41255 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 41255 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 41255 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 49464 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 49464 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 49464 nlockmgr
100005 1 udp 728 mountd
100005 1 tcp 731 mountd
100005 2 udp 728 mountd
100005 2 tcp 731 mountd
100005 3 udp 728 mountd
100005 3 tcp 731 mountd

and on the client:
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100021 1 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 32768 nlockmgr
391002 1 tcp 772 sgi_fam
391002 2 tcp 772 sgi_fam
100024 1 udp 652 status
100024 1 tcp 655 status

And doing a remote rpcinfo between the two machines shows the same
information.

The symptom exihibits itself mainly as an inability to use gnome due to
file-locking errors, but other applications provide locking warnings as
well. BTW, is there a canonical way to test for nfs-locking?

Any suggestions???

-Tupshin