2003-11-16 15:55:40

by Jason Holmes

Subject: Re: 2.4 vs. 2.6 nfs client performance

Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > Files should be up there (http://magicbus.cac.psu.edu/nfs). I
> > do have to admit that something odd is going on - 2.4.22 still
> > is faster than 2.6.0-test9-bk17 and test9-bk17 is still showing
> > the large amount of commits, but both of them are running
> > faster than they did before on the sync mounts and I'm not sure
> > what I might have changed to cause this.
>
> Hmm... It looks like you are doing a succession of 4k commits. I'll
> bet the read() code is involved in this...
>
> Could you try the following patch and see if it improves things?

That made a huge difference:

Client nfs v3:
null getattr setattr lookup access readlink
0 0% 714 0% 0 0% 110 0% 204 0% 0 0%
read write create mkdir symlink mknod
873 0% 178571 92% 24 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0%
remove rmdir rename link readdir readdirplus
24 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 18 0% 0 0%
fsstat fsinfo pathconf commit
0 0% 3 0% 0 0% 13175 6%

Client rpc stats:
calls retrans authrefrsh
193716 13 0

It also cut the job time in about half. I put a level9 log of it up
with the other ones. I'll have to rerun the 2.4 vs. this, but I think
that this change makes the 2.6 client faster than the 2.4 for this case.

Jason Holmes