2004-01-12 12:24:40

by Martin Wilck

Subject: nfsroot & RPC_AUTH_NULL

Hello,

we are experiencing the authentication problems with NFS root under
Linux which were discussed on this list earlier
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105369226100008&r=1&w=2).

The patch suggested by Trond in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-nfs&m=105390025122641&w=2
looks pretty straightforward. Moreover, it appears that trying to mount
the filesystem with RPC_AUTH_NULL actually violates the NFSv3 spec
(http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1813.html#sec-5.0).

Can the above mentioned patch have any adverse effects?
If no, is there any reason why it did not become part of either the
mainline kernel or the patch collection at
http://www.fys.uio.no/%7Etrondmy/src/ ?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

--
Martin Wilck Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers Fax: +49 5251 8 20409

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: nfsroot & RPC_AUTH_NULL

P? m? , 12/01/2004 klokka 07:24, skreiv Martin Wilck:
> Can the above mentioned patch have any adverse effects?
> If no, is there any reason why it did not become part of either the
> mainline kernel or the patch collection at
> http://www.fys.uio.no/%7Etrondmy/src/ ?

No reason at all. Please just blame my failing memory for not having
done so already.

I'll try to get this done over the next couple of days together with the
other patches that are missing: There are the locking patches - anything
else?.

Cheers,
Trond

by Martin Wilck

Hello Trond, hello list,

I have to reiterate my request from January regarding the RPC_AUTH_NULL
used in mnt_create(). Trond had a patch long ago that simply used
RPC_AUTH_UNIX instead RPC_AUTH_NULL.
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-nfs&m=105390025122641&w=2)
We verified that this fixes Linux NFS boot with certain NFSv3 servers.

Trond wrote on 2004/01/12:

>>Can the above mentioned patch have any adverse effects?
>>If no, is there any reason why it did not become part of either the
>>mainline kernel or the patch collection at
>>http://www.fys.uio.no/%7Etrondmy/src/ ?
>
> No reason at all. Please just blame my failing memory for not having
> done so already.
>
> I'll try to get this done over the next couple of days together with the
> other patches that are missing: There are the locking patches - anything
> else?.

The issue seems to have been lost again though, at least for 2.4. The
patch is neither in 2.4.26 nor in Trond's patch packet for 2.4.26. In
the 2.6 series it was apparently merged with 2.6.5. It would be nice to
have it in 2.4 as well, though.

Can I do anything to help this issue get fixed in 2.4.x?

Thanks,
Martin