2004-08-04 12:50:13

by Frank Steiner

Subject: Mount version older than kernel: 4 vs. 6

Hi,

using kernel 2.6.8rc3 and util-linux-2.12a, I ran into those "mount
version older than kernel" messages, which were discussed here for the
2.6.4 kernel before. Patching inode.c, I can see that NFS_MOUNT_VERSION
is 6, while data->version is 4. (The only mount at all that does not
complain is the one done by nfsroot (of course) :-))

Just a stupid question: why does the nfsmount.h from the kernel source
define NFS_MOUNT_VERSION 6? Shouldn't this number match the latest nfs
version, i.e., 4? I've never heard of nfs v6 yet :-)
Or is the meaning of NFS_MOUNT_VERSION different?

Would it be safe to patch nfsmount.h and set the number to 4 for my
own kernel to get rid of this warning, or could that break sth. else?
It just fills my logs and I want to get rid of it...

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner Web: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/
Lehrstuhl f. Bioinformatik Mail: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/m/

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: Mount version older than kernel: 4 vs. 6

P=E5 on , 04/08/2004 klokka 06:51, skreiv Olaf Kirch:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:25:23PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:
> > I see. But then it looks like a bug to me that the code in the inode.c
> > is comparing the "NFS version" (4, in data->version) against the
> > "NFS kernel mount struct" (6, in NFS_MOUNT_VERSION). That doesn't
> > make sense, does it?
>=20
> data->version _is_ the API version. Your mount binary currently
> uses API version 4. The kernel supports up to API version 6
> (which add NFSv4 support).

Nope. NFSv4 uses an entirely separate mount structure.

For the NFSv2/v3 mount structure, API version 5 adds RPCSEC_GSS the
secure RPC model. API version 6 adds support for passing security
context information down for use by LSM/SELinux/...

Cheers,
Trond

by Olaf Kirch

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:50:09PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:
> Just a stupid question: why does the nfsmount.h from the kernel source
> define NFS_MOUNT_VERSION 6? Shouldn't this number match the latest nfs
> version, i.e., 4? I've never heard of nfs v6 yet :-)
> Or is the meaning of NFS_MOUNT_VERSION different?

That's the version of the NFS kernel mount struct, and is
absolutely unrelated to the NFS version (except that both
grow monotonically over time).

> Would it be safe to patch nfsmount.h and set the number to 4 for my
> own kernel to get rid of this warning, or could that break sth. else?
> It just fills my logs and I want to get rid of it...

Our kernel has a patch to silence that warning for versions < 3.
But I wouldn't mind if it was nixed entirely.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | The Hardware Gods hate me.
[email protected] |

Attachments:
(No filename) (864.00 B)
nfs-mount-warning (1.12 kB)

by Frank Steiner

Olaf Kirch wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:50:09PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:
>
>>Just a stupid question: why does the nfsmount.h from the kernel source
>>define NFS_MOUNT_VERSION 6? Shouldn't this number match the latest nfs
>>version, i.e., 4? I've never heard of nfs v6 yet :-)
>>Or is the meaning of NFS_MOUNT_VERSION different?
>

> That's the version of the NFS kernel mount struct, and is
> absolutely unrelated to the NFS version (except that both
> grow monotonically over time).

I see. But then it looks like a bug to me that the code in the inode.c
is comparing the "NFS version" (4, in data->version) against the
"NFS kernel mount struct" (6, in NFS_MOUNT_VERSION). That doesn't
make sense, does it?

I added this to inode.c
if (data->version != NFS_MOUNT_VERSION) {
printk("nfs warning: mount version %s than kernel\n",
data->version < NFS_MOUNT_VERSION ? "older" : "newer");
+ printk("data version: %d\n",data->version);
+ printk("NFS_MOUNT_VERSION: %d\n",NFS_MOUNT_VERSION);

and got this result:
Aug 4 14:33:50 riemann kernel: nfs warning: mmmount version older than kernel
Aug 4 14:33:50 riemann kernel: data version: 4
Aug 4 14:33:50 riemann kernel: NFS_MOUNT_VERSION: 6

cu,
Frank