2004-12-13 15:12:45

by David Dougall

Subject: file system handle

I am moving filesystems/disks to new NFS servers. They are going to
change major and minor numbers. Is there any way I can prevent stale
mounts with the fsid= option in the exports?
I have tried this on a test environment, but when I try to create an fsid=
option, it completely changes the filehandle format in the nfs packet. Am
I missing something, or are the default and forced fsid options
incompatible?
--David Dougall

by James Pearson

Subject: Re: file system handle

David Dougall wrote:
> I am moving filesystems/disks to new NFS servers. They are going to
> change major and minor numbers. Is there any way I can prevent stale
> mounts with the fsid= option in the exports?
> I have tried this on a test environment, but when I try to create an fsid=
> option, it completely changes the filehandle format in the nfs packet. Am
> I missing something, or are the default and forced fsid options
> incompatible?

I believe using the fsid= option does use a different file handle id
type, so you can't directly do what you want with the fsid option.

However, you can re-export a file system with an added fsid= option -
any existing mounts will still use the 'previous' file handle type based
on the device id, but new mounts will use the new fsid file handle. You
then will have to make sure all existing clients remount the file system
before moving the disks.

I've done this before - but I had to make the export change well in
advance, so that I could make sure all existing clients remounted the
file system before the move.

James Pearson

by David Dougall

So, you are saying that if I add an fsid= option into the exports, the
server will work with both that filehandle and the default major/minor
number one?
--David Dougall

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, James Pearson wrote:

> David Dougall wrote:
> > I am moving filesystems/disks to new NFS servers. They are going to
> > change major and minor numbers. Is there any way I can prevent stale
> > mounts with the fsid= option in the exports?
> > I have tried this on a test environment, but when I try to create an fsid=
> > option, it completely changes the filehandle format in the nfs packet. Am
> > I missing something, or are the default and forced fsid options
> > incompatible?
>
> I believe using the fsid= option does use a different file handle id
> type, so you can't directly do what you want with the fsid option.
>
> However, you can re-export a file system with an added fsid= option -
> any existing mounts will still use the 'previous' file handle type based
> on the device id, but new mounts will use the new fsid file handle. You
> then will have to make sure all existing clients remount the file system
> before moving the disks.
>
> I've done this before - but I had to make the export change well in
> advance, so that I could make sure all existing clients remounted the
> file system before the move.
>
> James Pearson

by James Pearson

Yes - existing clients will still use the 'default' filehandle type. Any
new clients will use the fsid= option type. You have to make sure all
clients have remounted the file systems before moving the disks to a new
host.

James Pearson