2002-03-18 18:58:30

by Ogden, Aaron A.

Subject: RE: 1. NFS Performance issues... (Matt Heaton)

Matt,
I have seen and read about a lot of problems with NFS/UDP
performance on heterogenous networks (gigabit ethernet <-> fast ethernet <->
ATM, etc.).
We could not get our linux NFS clients to mount anything unless we
forced them into TCP mode. With UDP there were so many retransmissions and
dropped packets that the clients appeared to hang when accessing anything
over NFS. Our Sun boxes never had a problem because they use NFS over TCP
by default, and the Sun NFS servers can accept both TCP and UDP connections.
Once we forced TCP mode on the linux NFS clients they worked fine.

IMHO it would be a good idea to apply the TCP patch to the NFS
server and force the clients to mount using TCP instead of UDP. I'm betting
that it will help performance quite a bit. Actually you might want to apply
Trond's patches to all of the NFS machines (client and server). I'm using
them on production machines here with good results.

This doesn't explain why the data appears to 'stop' at 11Mbits, but
I think TCP will help your performance regardless. In my testing on our
network I found that TCP mode was *always* faster than UDP regardless of
block size.

--aaron