2005-02-03 06:08:53

by mehta kiran

Subject: file :"/var/lib/nfs/rmtab"

Hi ,
In mountd man page , it written that
rmtab is ornamental and client can contiune
to use filesystem even after calling umount
for that filesystem.

Is there any real use of this rmtab file ?
Does mountd use this file to know the
clients having access to filesystem ?
If yes , isn,t filehandle supplied by
client enough to prove that client has access
to filesystem. ?

thanks,
--kiran

http://my.yahoo.com

by mehta kiran

Subject: Re: file :"/var/lib/nfs/rmtab"

hi James ,
it did not help.
Enmtry in rmtab file is still used.
thanks for ur reply,
kiran

--- James Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Did you do 'mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd' before
> starting all the
> nfs daemons?
>
> James Pearson
>
> mehta kiran wrote:
> > I am using 2.6 kernel
> > --- mehta kiran <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi ,
> >> if handle supplied by client is
> sufficient
> >>,
> >> then why does the problem given below exists.
> >>
> >>1. export filesystem to client.
> >>2. let client allow to mount it.
> >>3. remove all entries from rmtab on server.
> >>4. restart all nfs daemons.
> >>5. Now if client access filesystem , it gets
> >> permission denied error.Client can access
> >> filesystem only after remounting it.
> >>6. This show that mountd still uses rmtab to
> >> check if client had mounted filesystem or not.
> >> No entry in rmtab for a client means it has not
> >> mounted filesystem.
> >>
> >>thanks,
> >> --kiran
> >>
> >>--- Paul Clements <[email protected]>

> >>file

> drag-&-drop

> >>Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.
> >>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

> >>Interactive Reporting
> >>Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop
> >>reports. Save time
> >>by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to
> >>DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
> >>Download a FREE copy at
> >>http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

> > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
> > http://my.yahoo.com

> Interactive Reporting
> > Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop
> reports. Save time
> > by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to
> DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
> > Download a FREE copy at
> http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

> Interactive Reporting
> Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop
> reports. Save time
> by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to
> DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
> Download a FREE copy at
> http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

by James Pearson

What version of nfs-utils are you running?

I've just tried (on a 2.6 kernel Fedora box):

mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd
/etc/init.d/nfs start

mount an exported file system on a client

edit /var/lib/nfs/rmtab and removed the line corresponding to the client

/etc/init.d/nfs stop
/etc/init.d/nfs start

Accessed the mount point on the client - no stale handle ...

... and the deleted line 'magically' reappears in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab

James Pearson

mehta kiran wrote:
> hi James ,
> it did not help.
> Enmtry in rmtab file is still used.
> thanks for ur reply,
> kiran
>
> --- James Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Did you do 'mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd' before
>>starting all the
>>nfs daemons?
>>
>>James Pearson
>>
>>mehta kiran wrote:
>>
>>>I am using 2.6 kernel

>>sufficient

>>drag-&-drop

>>>Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
>>>http://my.yahoo.com

>>Interactive Reporting
>>
>>>Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop
>>
>>reports. Save time
>>
>>>by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to
>>
>>DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
>>
>>>Download a FREE copy at
>>
>>http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

>>Interactive Reporting
>>Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop
>>reports. Save time
>>by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to
>>DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
>>Download a FREE copy at
>>http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

by mehta kiran

Hi James ,
I am working on suse box.(2.6 kernel).
You mounted nfsd filesystem and then
you ran a script /etc/init.d/nfs.

Does this script starts and kills all nfs
daemons.? Can u verify whether it kills
mountd or not.?

If mountd is not killed everthing works fine.
because it is mountd which reads rmtab.If it
is not restarted , it has all its data intact
and hence wont read rmtab.Thus , removing
entry from rmtab wont cause any problem.

thanks,
--kiran

--- James Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:

> What version of nfs-utils are you running?
>
> I've just tried (on a 2.6 kernel Fedora box):
>
> mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd
> /etc/init.d/nfs start
>
> mount an exported file system on a client
>
> edit /var/lib/nfs/rmtab and removed the line
> corresponding to the client
>
> /etc/init.d/nfs stop
> /etc/init.d/nfs start
>
> Accessed the mount point on the client - no stale
> handle ...
>
> ... and the deleted line 'magically' reappears in
> /var/lib/nfs/rmtab
>
> James Pearson
>
> mehta kiran wrote:
> > hi James ,
> > it did not help.
> > Enmtry in rmtab file is still used.
> > thanks for ur reply,
> > kiran
> >
> > --- James Pearson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >

> >>Did you do 'mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd'
> before
> >>starting all the
> >>nfs daemons?
> >>
> >>James Pearson

> >>sufficient

> not

> >>drag-&-drop

> drag-&-drop

> >>Interactive Reporting

> drag-&-drop
> >>
> >>reports. Save time

> >>DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.

> >>http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

=== message truncated ===

by mehta kiran

hi ,
I am using nfs-utils-1.0.6-103.11
thanks,
kiran
--- James Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:

> What version of nfs-utils are you running?
>
> I've just tried (on a 2.6 kernel Fedora box):
>
> mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd
> /etc/init.d/nfs start
>
> mount an exported file system on a client
>
> edit /var/lib/nfs/rmtab and removed the line
> corresponding to the client
>
> /etc/init.d/nfs stop
> /etc/init.d/nfs start
>
> Accessed the mount point on the client - no stale
> handle ...
>
> ... and the deleted line 'magically' reappears in
> /var/lib/nfs/rmtab
>
> James Pearson
>
> mehta kiran wrote:
> > hi James ,
> > it did not help.
> > Enmtry in rmtab file is still used.
> > thanks for ur reply,
> > kiran
> >
> > --- James Pearson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >

> >>Did you do 'mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd'
> before
> >>starting all the
> >>nfs daemons?
> >>
> >>James Pearson

> >>sufficient

> not

> >>drag-&-drop

> drag-&-drop

> >>Interactive Reporting

> drag-&-drop
> >>
> >>reports. Save time

> >>DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.

> >>http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

=== message truncated ===

by James Pearson

'/etc/init.d/nfs stop' on Redhat/Fedora boxes kills mountd

What order does exportfs, nfsd and mountd get started or your system?

On my box it is:

exportfs
nfsd
mountd

However, if I run exportfs after mountd, then I get a stale NFS file handle

James Pearson

mehta kiran wrote:
> Hi James ,
> I am working on suse box.(2.6 kernel).
> You mounted nfsd filesystem and then
> you ran a script /etc/init.d/nfs.
>
> Does this script starts and kills all nfs
> daemons.? Can u verify whether it kills
> mountd or not.?
>
> If mountd is not killed everthing works fine.
> because it is mountd which reads rmtab.If it
> is not restarted , it has all its data intact
> and hence wont read rmtab.Thus , removing
> entry from rmtab wont cause any problem.
>
> thanks,
> --kiran
>

> --- James Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>What version of nfs-utils are you running?
>>
>>I've just tried (on a 2.6 kernel Fedora box):
>>
>>mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd
>>/etc/init.d/nfs start
>>
>>mount an exported file system on a client
>>
>>edit /var/lib/nfs/rmtab and removed the line
>>corresponding to the client
>>
>>/etc/init.d/nfs stop
>>/etc/init.d/nfs start
>>
>>Accessed the mount point on the client - no stale
>>handle ...
>>
>>... and the deleted line 'magically' reappears in
>>/var/lib/nfs/rmtab
>>
>>James Pearson
>>
>>mehta kiran wrote:
>>
>>>hi James ,
>>> it did not help.
>>> Enmtry in rmtab file is still used.
>>>thanks for ur reply,
>>> kiran
>>>
>>>--- James Pearson <[email protected]>

>>before

>>not

>>--

>>--

>>drag-&-drop

>>drag-&-drop

> === message truncated ===

> http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

by mehta kiran

Hi James ,
order is : nfsd , mountd , exportfs.

Important thing is exportfs should be after
nfsd .
Now i have seen that everything works fine
with RED Hat as you have said.

Problem is with Suse server

thanks ,

> [...]

> > because it is mountd which reads rmtab.If
> it
> > is not restarted , it has all its data
> intact
> > and hence wont read rmtab.Thus , removing
> > entry from rmtab wont cause any problem.
> >
> > thanks,
> > --kiran
> >

> > --- James Pearson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >

> >>What version of nfs-utils are you running?
> >>
> >>I've just tried (on a 2.6 kernel Fedora box):
> >>
> >>mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd
> >>/etc/init.d/nfs start
> >>
> >>mount an exported file system on a client
> >>
> >>edit /var/lib/nfs/rmtab and removed the line
> >>corresponding to the client
> >>
> >>/etc/init.d/nfs stop
> >>/etc/init.d/nfs start
> >>
> >>Accessed the mount point on the client - no stale
> >>handle ...
> >>
> >>... and the deleted line 'magically' reappears in

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

by James Pearson

mehta kiran wrote:
> Hi ,
> In mountd man page , it written that
> rmtab is ornamental and client can contiune
> to use filesystem even after calling umount
> for that filesystem.
>
> Is there any real use of this rmtab file ?
> Does mountd use this file to know the
> clients having access to filesystem ?
> If yes , isn,t filehandle supplied by
> client enough to prove that client has access
> to filesystem. ?

On 2.4 kernels it is not 'ornamental' - if the server reboots without an
entry for a client mount in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, then the client will get
a stale NFS file handle when the server reboots. This can happen if
umount fails e.g. the mount point is busy - rpc.mountd on the server
removes the entry from /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, but umount fails, so the file
system remains mounted.

I believe the situation has changed with 2.6.

James Pearson

by mehta kiran

Hi James ,
I know that if there is no entry for
particualr client in rmtab (due to whatever
reasons) it gets permission denied error
because mountd verifies clients access to
filesystem using rmtab. But what i want to
know is why does mountd
use rmtab ? Isn't handle supplied by client
enough to verify clients access to
filesystem.?

I have seen that server uses entry from
rmtab only once when client access
filesystem (after server restart).Later if
entry from rmtab is removed client is still
able to access filesystem without any
> [...]

> > to use filesystem even after calling umount
> > for that filesystem.
> >
> > Is there any real use of this rmtab file ?
> > Does mountd use this file to know the
> > clients having access to filesystem ?
> > If yes , isn,t filehandle supplied by
> > client enough to prove that client has
> access
> > to filesystem. ?
>
> On 2.4 kernels it is not 'ornamental' - if the
> server reboots without an
> entry for a client mount in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, then
> the client will get
> a stale NFS file handle when the server reboots.
> This can happen if
> umount fails e.g. the mount point is busy -
> rpc.mountd on the server
> removes the entry from /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, but
> umount fails, so the file
> system remains mounted.
>
> I believe the situation has changed with 2.6.

by mehta kiran

Or is it for security reasons , so as to
prevent server from fake client handle.

--thanks,.
--kiran

--- James Pearson <[email protected]> wrote:

> mehta kiran wrote:
> > Hi ,
> > In mountd man page , it written that
> > rmtab is ornamental and client can contiune
> > to use filesystem even after calling umount
> > for that filesystem.
> >
> > Is there any real use of this rmtab file ?
> > Does mountd use this file to know the
> > clients having access to filesystem ?
> > If yes , isn,t filehandle supplied by
> > client enough to prove that client has
> access
> > to filesystem. ?
>
> On 2.4 kernels it is not 'ornamental' - if the
> server reboots without an
> entry for a client mount in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, then
> the client will get
> a stale NFS file handle when the server reboots.
> This can happen if
> umount fails e.g. the mount point is busy -
> rpc.mountd on the server
> removes the entry from /var/lib/nfs/rmtab, but
> umount fails, so the file
> system remains mounted.
>
> I believe the situation has changed with 2.6.
>
> James Pearson

by Paul Clements