2005-03-15 23:44:15

by Neil Conway

Subject: Re: NFS client bug in 2.6.8-2.6.11

Hi Bernardo (et al). Apologies - I've not been reading my account for
a wee while. Then again, I probably don't have much useful to add to
the debate right now ;-)

--- Bernardo Innocenti <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anders Saaby wrote:
> > Anyways if your server has only run with 2.6.10 - try 2.6.11.
>
> Thank you, I've finally nailed it down by upgrading the
> *server* kernel from 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 to 2.6.10-1.770_FC3.

Hmm, I will infer from a previous email you sent that you mean 766_FC3
for the "from" kernel.

> The latter is basically 2.6.10-ac12 plus a bunch of vendor
> specific patches.

766 -> 770 sounds like a "small" (ish) number of patches to check, if
we're lucky. Did you wade through 'em all yet? Any smoking guns?

Regards,
Neil
PS: oh bugger, just remembered that I also reproduced my bug with a
2.6.8 kernel on the server; admittedly though it was an FC2 kernel so
who knows what extra patches it had.

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

2005-03-16 02:49:48

by Bernardo Innocenti

Neil Conway wrote:

> 766 -> 770 sounds like a "small" (ish) number of patches to check, if
> we're lucky. Did you wade through 'em all yet? Any smoking guns?

The RPM changelog doesn't contain anything relevant
between 766 and 770:

---CUT---
* Thu Feb 24 2005 Dave Jones <[email protected]>

- Use old scheme first when probing USB. (#145273)

* Wed Feb 23 2005 Dave Jones <[email protected]>

- Try as you may, there's no escape from crap SCSI hardware. (#149402)

* Mon Feb 21 2005 Dave Jones <[email protected]>

- Disable some experimental USB EHCI features.

* Tue Feb 15 2005 Dave Jones <[email protected]>

- Fix bio leak in md layer.
---CUT---

Perhaps the changelog is incomplete. I don't have the
two SRPMs at hand to make a comparison.

By the way, it seems upgrading to 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 just made
the bug much harder to trigger: I've definitely seen it once
again when I had left a shell sitting in an NFS directory
overnight. I couldn't reproduce it a second time.

> PS: oh bugger, just remembered that I also reproduced my bug with a
> 2.6.8 kernel on the server; admittedly though it was an FC2 kernel so
> who knows what extra patches it had.

You can easily find out by downloading the SRPM. Now that
Fedora provides a public CVS, perhaps it could be used to
make such investigations directly with the cvsweb interface
without downloading and unpacking a 40MB file.

\X/ http://www.develer.com/