2005-08-15 21:13:19

by Roger Zimmermann

Subject: Is this possible using NFS ?

Hi,

I've got a server, where a varying number of disks is connected.
The layout:

/exampledir/onedisk/sometimes-mounted/etc
/exampledir/onotherdisk/sometimes-mounted/etc
/exampledir/harddisk/always-mounted
/exampledir/otherdata

can I simply export /exampledir from the server
and mount it via NFS by clients without having each client to inform
when e.g 'onedisk' is connected or removed ?

THNX, Roger

by James Yarbrough

Subject: Re: Is this possible using NFS ?

Roger,

I think the answer to this question is going to be "no" unless you
have only one client. There is an export option that might do what
you want, it just may not work very well. Read about the nohide
option in the exports(5) man page. You can try out that export option
and see if it works for you. I tend to avoid it, though.

Roger Zimmermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a server, where a varying number of disks is connected.
> The layout:
>
> /exampledir/onedisk/sometimes-mounted/etc
> /exampledir/onotherdisk/sometimes-mounted/etc
> /exampledir/harddisk/always-mounted
> /exampledir/otherdata
>
> can I simply export /exampledir from the server
> and mount it via NFS by clients without having each client to inform
> when e.g 'onedisk' is connected or removed ?
>
> THNX, Roger

650 933 3124

McGoogles is me name, I like a cup a' joe.
Throw me in the padded room, and tie me up with rope.